How Do You Hold Your Pipe In Your Mouth?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
So, typically I hold my pipe in my teeth towards the front side of my mouth with the stem opening pointing towards my tongue/cavern of my mouth. I tend to get the most flavor that way, but it makes my jaw tired if I clench it for a while. I recently saw the movie "The Dig", on Netflix, and noticed that the main character appeared to hold his pipe in his back teeth. I also noticed that Kevin Costner did the same on Hatfield and McCoys. So I gave it a try, and while my jaw did not get tired and it was easier to talk, the smoke was pointed in a different direction and I did not get much in terms of flavor. I was wondering if they did this just for the movie, while acting, so that they could keep the pipe in their mouth for a long time while saying their lines. All of this got me thinking, where do other pipe smokers hold their pipes in their mouths and why did they choose that location.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Canted outward at about 30 degrees from the front teeth, gripped just behind the upper eye tooth. The lip usually ends up somewhere and inch or so back from the tip of my tongue. I never grip with my front teeth or eye teeth. I chose that location simply because it was most comfortable for me.

I had an uncle who would clench a pipe on the porch while taking a nap. It would just dangle freely, with a thin wisp of smoke emanating from it. Never once did he drop a pipe while sleeping. All of his pipes had a hole in the stem where he would sink a tooth into it like a grappling hook. I still have one of his pipes, but I can't smoke it, because my tooth doesn't fit the same way.

Last edited:
I think I have different ways that I hold different pipes, to corelate with the weight, distribution, and hang. But, I always think it's so odd when I see an actor in a recent movie or series that just has a pipe hanging straight out under his nose. You can really tell when someone has never actually smoked a pipe before.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I clench with my canine and first bicuspid on the stem just in front of the button, either side of my mouth. It's what has felt the most comfortable and secure for me. A softy bit with the button cut off and placed right in front of the stem button is the perfect size to prevent me from (1) destroying a vulcanite stem with my teeth, or (2) destroying my teeth with an acrylic stem.

Status
Not open for further replies.