How Do You Guys Become Knowledgeable About the Hobby and Community?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoic__Smoker

Lurker
Dec 15, 2019
Arkansas
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

I have been a pipe smoker for about 4yrs now. I have read and, studied most of the beginner knowledge. I have the classic books by Carlton, Dunhill, and those guys. And I keep up with the popular guys in the ytpc. Like Matches. Timberdrifter, Stuff and, Things.

But I feel like I still know so little about this hobby and, culture. It feels like I dont know who is who. Who are the great pipe makers? The history behind blenders? The master blenders. The people that have shaped and, impacted this hobby and, shaped it. Grown it. The news. The real important people in the community.

I feel like a total newb to this culture even after smoking for 4yrs. How do you guys keep up with news knowledge history and, such? How do you get deeply involved in this? I want to get into this culture, history, hobby, and community as deep as I can. Pipe smoking is one of the most beloved things in my life.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I began with the pipe 2.5 years ago and didn't know squat.

I just kept "googling" specific questions and curiosities as they presented themselves. Well over 90% of my inquiries led me to this site, so I joined and kept reading and asking.

You're in the right place for most of the information. Now, load a pipe and enjoy the slow and steady process of self education.

Stoic__Smoker

Lurker
Dec 15, 2019
Arkansas
I began with the pipe 2.5 years ago and didn't know squat.

I just kept "googling" specific questions and curiosities as they presented themselves. Well over 90% of my inquiries led me to this site, so I joined and kept reading and asking.

You're in the right place for most of the information. Now, load a pipe and enjoy the slow and steady process of self education.

View attachment 13138
Loading up a bowl and, studying away. Thanks Jaytex

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Maybe community is a better word. Community between blenders, pipe makers, and smokers.

For some, this is true. For the vast majority of pipe smokers out there, it's just about smoking their pipe. I don't think what you have here in this forum is representative of pipe smokers across the planet. Most have 1 or 2 pipes, 1 or 2 tobaccos and they just smoke. No decorum, no ritual, no culture, no community.

That's not to say there's anything wrong or strange with people like us that enjoy collecting pipes and tobacco and discussing it with other people. You should make plans to attend the Chicago Pipe Show. It is a perfect example of what you speak. And a great time with a lot of great people: blenders, carvers and smokers.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Most have 1 or 2 pipes, 1 or 2 tobaccos and they just smoke. No decorum, no ritual, no culture, no community.
True. And they are likely to take vexation if you ask them about their pipe or what blend they're smoking.

@Stoic__Smoker: For a good survey on those topics that interest you get the book The Book of Pipes and Tobacco, by Carl Ehwa. Yeah, yeah, it's from the 70's, some info about blending is outdated, but, can we really expect anything encyclopaedically world-shaking about pipes in the present Age of Anti-smoking Anti-tobacco?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I guess I never considered pipe smoking a culture. I just like to smoke.
I don't consider it a hobby, culture, or community, everything isn't about inclusion, sometimes it's just something to do. Started smoking a pipe by trial and error in '91 and didn't know there were online forums until 2014 (not tech friendly and have never owned a computer). I just enjoy multiple tobacco products.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
And they are likely to take vexation if you ask them about their pipe or what blend they're smoking.
Outside of the forum, if a stranger walked up to me while smoking out and about, that would be me. Would likely stick my pipe in my pocket and walk away.

thebigragu

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2019
Needs of the Army
when I first started working in seafood I had an old timer tell me that "the best will never admit they know evrything and will always be open to learn" and I took that to heart, but the point of my story is that that could also be taken in the pipe smoking hobby I have been smoking a pipe for over 10 years, and will still not say I am an expert and still have things to learn.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

I have been a pipe smoker for about 4yrs now. I have read and, studied most of the beginner knowledge. I have the classic books by Carlton, Dunhill, and those guys. And I keep up with the popular guys in the ytpc. Like Matches. Timberdrifter, Stuff and, Things.

But I feel like I still know so little about this hobby and, culture. It feels like I dont know who is who. Who are the great pipe makers? The history behind blenders? The master blenders. The people that have shaped and, impacted this hobby and, shaped it. Grown it. The news. The real important people in the community.

I feel like a total newb to this culture even after smoking for 4yrs. How do you guys keep up with news knowledge history and, such? How do you get deeply involved in this? I want to get into this culture, history, hobby, and community as deep as I can. Pipe smoking is one of the most beloved things in my life.

Thanks everyone.
Um - dude - I don't wanna sound mean or anything, but you feel like a newb because you still are. You've got folks here who have been smoking a pipe for decades. It takes time, like everything. Relax and enjoy yourself. Hang out at a couple of forums, talk to old timers, and don't worry.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Um - dude - I don't wanna sound mean or anything, but you feel like a newb because you still are. You've got folks here who have been smoking a pipe for decades. It takes time, like everything. Relax and enjoy yourself. Hang out at a couple of forums, talk to old timers, and don't worry.
+1

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Not a culture? If a bunch of guys all followed a sport, talked about how they best enjoy watching the sport, which teams they like and why, and discussed teams of past, which sports equipment the like best... it would be a culture.

We discuss how we smoke, what we smoke, how we store our tobaccos, what is such and such tobacco, which pipes we like and why, which ones we don’t like and why, the history of pipe and tobaccos, how we clean our pipes, and what we like to do when smoking our pipes... and within all of this talking we get to know each other and sometimes visit. Then pipe shows...

we are definately a culture and comm... comm... community (as much as I hate that damned word).

Sure, most pipesmokers don’t get “into it” as much as we do, but every “culture thing” has those that aren’t as into it as we are. But, that doesn’t negate the rest of us to any less a culture.
As to how to become more knowledgable... each of us has had our own way and amount of time to get to where we are. I can’t show you a path, but I will encourage you along the way.

Welcome to the forum, where we all disagree, even on the very nature of what we are, ha ha!

Status
Not open for further replies.