How Do You Guys Become Knowledgeable About the Hobby and Community?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I’m always learning something new myself, OP. One thing that accidentally works in my favor is I’m Dx’d OCD (it ain’t fun), so when I take an interest I immerse myself in it. It’s natural and I can’t help it but I soak up lots of info because I’m “locked and looping” over it.

That said I’ve been looking into and reading about the tobacco plant itself, how it’s treated, fired, etc. etc. for quite some time. I’m tempted to grow a few burley plants in our yard.

Now I’m right where you are: pipes! Who carves/carved what? What’s their style, what’s the history? What historical events were occurring when the pipes were made? What stories could the pipes tell if they could speak? Etc. etc. etc.

Long story short: I’m on the journey with you. I ordered some books (got that blue Comoy’s book a few weeks ago, others on the way), and I read on the Net and here.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Forums is a good comprehensive check-in to lead you to other information, sites, pipe shows, pipe shops, etc. I'm not a big consumer guy. I buy a sturdy work horse car about every ten years, like my old clothes better than new ones, though I admit to having many pipes, and for my moderate rate of smoking, many tobaccos. My suggestion is to also regularly visit retail sites like Smoking Pipes and Pipes and Cigars, which also happen to be sponsors here, and other similar sites. I window shop a lot and buy a little, to inform my purchases when I do make them. Learn about pipe filters and non-filter adaptors and non filtered pipes, for example. Learn about the constituent tobaccos in blends, processing, proportionality, names of blenders, packaging, preservation, aging, different cuts, ownership of blending outfits, to name a few pertinent topics. Learning is an ongoing part of the interest for sure.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
From my perspective.... your feeling like a “newbie” is specifically in regards to your working knowledge of pipe and pipe tobacco history and the pipe and pipe tobacco industry currently.

But, if you have stuck with pipe smoking for four years.... to me that would suggest you enjoy and understand the pastime well.... or at least well enough to encourage you to continue.

So, (again from my perspective) if you are enjoying what you are doing.... that is the REAL point. You can of course read and learn more as time in your life permits.... but I would not necessarily think intensive study like one may do for a class is in order.... to me that turns a pleasant pastime into something that feels like work.... or worse.... a chore. So, I guess I am suggesting.... just enjoy.... learn more when convenient.... but always enjoy the pipes and pipe tobaccos you have and know now.... by smoking them. That is, IMO, the easiest way to not feel like a “newbie”.

But... you may need to take my advice with a grain of salt.... I am a pipe smoker of 40+ years.... and yet new to the forums here (2 months official... a few additional months lurking).

kwg116

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
One place where I personally learned a lot was glpease.com. Greg is not as active as he once was, but the Briar and Leaf Chronicles and Ask GL Pease sections have a wealth of info. This forum is a great place to learn about our hobby.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Just don't count me in with that bunch. I've only made videos when asked to by forum members.
Hey not you man.. I'd watch your vids all day just to check that 'do/stache combo !

I'm talking about the people who think that you want to see them fiddle with a pipe or blabber about a blend on camera. Or like to describe the simplest of things in their video so they seem knowledgable.

by the way I tried to find other vids you posted and it only shows one?

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

The culture is a mix of people from different backgrounds who have different viewpoints, but all of whom share pipes and tobacco as a common denominator. Knowledge comes with time. I learned a lot from forums, pipe shows, and pipedia. It's a trial and error hobby with a supportive community. Welcome.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Not even sure if that would apply.

culture

the customs, arts, social institutions, and achievements of a particular nation, people, or other social group.

We're multinational, multiracial, and non forum pipe smokers are some of the most antisocial people I've ever met. I just enjoy smoking with little to no interest in the history, literature, or global impact of the thing.

EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

I have been a pipe smoker for about 4yrs now. I have read and, studied most of the beginner knowledge. I have the classic books by Carlton, Dunhill, and those guys. And I keep up with the popular guys in the ytpc. Like Matches. Timberdrifter, Stuff and, Things.

But I feel like I still know so little about this hobby and, culture. It feels like I dont know who is who. Who are the great pipe makers? The history behind blenders? The master blenders. The people that have shaped and, impacted this hobby and, shaped it. Grown it. The news. The real important people in the community.

I feel like a total newb to this culture even after smoking for 4yrs. How do you guys keep up with news knowledge history and, such? How do you get deeply involved in this? I want to get into this culture, history, hobby, and community as deep as I can. Pipe smoking is one of the most beloved things in my life.

Thanks everyone.

Most of your answers lie within this forum and that search bar on the top is the vehicle to finding those answers. There are hours and hours and HOURS of great and informative reading.

Enjoy the journey!

• Love
Reactions: Stoic__Smoker

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
There are some whose identities seem to be wrapped up in being pipe smokers. Most probably just want to learn a bit more. I''ve been smoking on and off since 1967, but my knowledge of tobaccos and pipes exploded with the advent of the internet. Decades ago I'd walk into Drucquers (esteemed tobacconist in Berkeley) and had no clue what all those jarred mixtures were. Didn't know latakia from burley, or my ass from a hot rock. The net helped a lot. Sampling different tobaccos. Pipes are much harder to get to know, for me. Several pipe merchants I've had conversations with by phone --- Premal Cheda, Marty Pulvers, Mike Glukler come to mind ---- are all friendly and excellent sources of info. There is much about pipes that is mysterious to me : why some pipes want to gurgle today, but not later, and then again......why briar from Ser Jacopo and Don Carlos seems to give me a better tasting smoke......why people pay many thousands for some pipes.....and on and on. I think that those times when you have a perfect smoke, a sublime experience, keep us coming back to search for that experience again and again. Anyway, just a few thoughts.........

Status
Not open for further replies.