PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
I’m a huge 965 fan; so that gets smoked a lot. But generally it depends upon the season: Winter I prefer straight Vas, but will smoke “Christmas”Aros from now until January (Christmas Cookie, Kohlhasse & Kopp Winter Blend, Bought The Storytellerspipe Holly King this year?, used to smoke Peterson Christmas/Holiday blends until they stopped shipping them to USA around 2016).
Spring means English/Balkan... but only Robust blends, so heavy on the Latakia, Northwoods, Peretti English 201, Railroad Station, Pirate Kake.
Summer means light English, (EMP, 965, Tashkent, Frog Morton Across the Pond) And a few select Aros (Brigadier Black Gettysburg, Apple Streudel, Sweet Galenas)
Fall is all about the English/Balkan... Light in the morning, medium (Royal from Peretti, Railroad Station from Boswell’s) in the afternoon, and heavy at night.

WNCLEE28466

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2021
Wallace, NC (near the coast)
I typically smoke something in the AM, and progress to stronger, and more punchy tobaccos/blends as the day wears on. I guess this is a type of rotation in a sense. Also, I tend to stay in the realm of 5 to 6 opened tobaccos at a time. Whether you have a small store of tobaccos or more. I opened TOO many 'baccas at one time and paid the price with dry, harsh blends that needed constant re-hydration. You'll learn not to be wowed by quantity, but appreciate better, more select 'baccas...

Sgetz

Lifer
May 21, 2020
UK
If you cannot decide then number your cellar and pull number from hat! It's not an important choice. You can always toss it if you don't like it.

Reactions: UncleRasta

Duck

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2021
Edinburgh
As I go through the day I usually progress from mild to very strong tobacco. So I might have twenty, but only three or four of a particular strength. Deciding between three or four flavours isn't overwhelming, I just pick the one I'm in the mood for.

Reactions: JOHN72

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
For me it's a rather complicated process. First I have to consider what day of the week it is, then factor in the time, weather, my geographical location and I enter it all into my Tobacco Excel Choice spreadsheet. After that, I factor in the position of the stars, lunar cycle and the previous weeks worth of astrology readings, not only for me but also for my extended family. After converting all of that into their numerical values, I hack into the Oak Ridge National Laboratory's super computer (Never on the part running national security. I usually use the part running cold fusion scenarios. Cold fusion? Come on! The guys at Monster Energy seem to have clearly solved this long ago, those cans seem to stay cold forever!) and run through a Riemann Hypothesis application which is then divided by the same numbers run through The Erdős-Strauss Conjecture and 15 hours later I have my answer. Those super computers are something else. Though I did stump it when I asked it "Why is Kathy Griffin even remotely famous?"

Or I just go outside, open my tobacco cache and pull out whatever strikes my fancy. Six of one...

myhyeung

Lurker
Aug 9, 2021
Hongkong
Difficult choices can often be reduced to dichotomies. Think of a blend, imagine the smoke in your mouth and the flavors fill your nostrils, you're either happy or you're not. If not repeat the process with another.

Only choose right before you get to smoke. Countless times I think of an after dinner heavy earthy cigar the whole day. Take the stick out after shower, caress and sniff the wrapper, eat dinner then put it back, and reach for a bowl of light grassy VA. You never know what you want until you get to actually have it.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
This is probably not the question for the people that have 2 and only 2 tobaccos at hand all the time, but more for the folks that have a larger amount of different tobaccos.

How do you decide just what to smoke? With my cellar getting larger I am also finding it increasingly harder to choose what to smoke. Do you have any tips or thoughts?
I have the same thing, I even think I know what I want and then it doesn’t work for me. I have a huge cellar of jars. What I used to do, and I’m going to try again, is to intentionally change genres every week. I usually binge one group, like lakelands or vapers, and then change to a different group like burleys or English. My groups may not make a lot of sense, like one is ‘rum’. It seems like my palette goes flat if I don’t switch it up.

Reactions: TheWhale13