PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
This is probably not the question for the people that have 2 and only 2 tobaccos at hand all the time, but more for the folks that have a larger amount of different tobaccos.

How do you decide just what to smoke? With my cellar getting larger I am also finding it increasingly harder to choose what to smoke. Do you have any tips or thoughts?

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
That's completely personal, some like a kick in the nuts before breakfast, others take it a little bit slower. I sometimes get comments how I can stomach a non-Connecticut wrapped cigar in the morning, I just do it. It is all about how you tolerate certain flavors and nicotine levels at what time a day

When I pick a pipe and tobacco in the morning I pick an english, in the afternoon a Va(Per) and after diner a burley or dfk.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
This is probably not the question for the people that have 2 and only 2 tobaccos at hand all the time, but more for the folks that have a larger amount of different tobaccos.

How do you decide just what to smoke? With my cellar getting larger I am also finding it increasingly harder to choose what to smoke. Do you have any tips or thoughts?
No cellar for me. I have a local tobacconists. He mixes up a couple of English blends that I have been switching back and forth. THe blend I am using now has a higher Latakia content., but I might like the other better since it has a sweet taste.

Reactions: UncleRasta

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have my morning smokes usually a nice mild Virginia from 2012 something like Rotary Navy Cut or Wessex Gold Virginia Flake to get the taste buds going. Next is usually a darker Virginia like 2012 Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake or 2012 Wessex Brown Virginia Flake. 2012 Astleys no 44 or even 2013 Brigham Klondike Gold is a nice time of day for that. For a third smoke I will sometimes go Escudo or Solani 633 or maybe Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls. After that I could go with a 2005 Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky or a 2007 Stonehaven or the original Mac Baren Old Dark Fired from 2012. Get the right pipe and that stuff is magical. I have been smoking my ODF out of my Rad Davis Zulu from the get go and it is a perfect match. For my tastes nothing but the ODF comes close to aged Stonehaven.

I have been on this particular rotation for a month or more and I am really enjoying it. In another few weeks to a month I will finish a bunch of tins and then start smoking through others. I have some serious smoking to do as I think I have over 30 tins open which for me is a few more than normal. I usually keep 20-25 tins open at the same time. I just love my variety, what can I say. I have eclectic tastes that is the envy of the entire pipe world. Anyone who wants lessons just feel free to ask.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I mostly smoke Virginia Flake blends and also do it in order from milder/sweeter to progressively stronger throughout the day. When I finish a tin of Vauen No 14 (first of the day smoke with coffee), I may open a tin of Wessex Gold Virginia Flake to be my next first of the day smoke. I roughly have the variety of Flake blends categorized strength wise in my head and I choose based on that and having a bit of variety. Do the same thing for my late in the day VaPer, VaOr and Burley choices. This helps me avoid having 30 tins open as well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I can't over-think what to smoke or it will take all day. It is an exercise in impulsivity. I bounce around among the twenty or thirty open tins or jars and then I pounce. I'm usually happy with the randomness of it, finishing off a sample, mixing the dregs of two blends, going back to a robust old favorite, packing an aromatic for a change of pace, or popping open a tin for a new adventure. If I think I've made a mistake, it is sometimes instead the highlight of my pipe-smoking week.

That Guy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
Sometimes I'll know exactly what I have a taste for and when I don't I'll randomly grab four or five open jars and give them a sniff and whichever tickles my fancy I'll load up and smoke. I don't typically have certain blends I only smoke in the morning, afternoon, or evening. I just go with whatever I have a taste for at that moment. It's not uncommon for me to wake up and on an empty stomach reach for HH bold Kentucky and load up a big bowl.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Most of the time I have a taste for something specific and go from there. Some days....a lot of days, I want dark, deep Virginias. Or I may have a taste for some Oriental incense. On deep winter days, I seem to like something like Bengal Slices. Its the same as what Scotch I want, it's not a conscious choice. Some days you want an easy drinking Highland like Edradour, some days you want something like Talisker that will punch you in the face.

Talon

Might Stick Around
Nov 7, 2021
Ontario, Canada
I tend to pick up the less complex tobaccos in the morning and lately it has been Capstan Blue. In the evenings I'll dive into something a bit heavier or perhaps a tad more complex such as Stormfront or SPC's plum pudding.