How do I fix a hole in the bottom of a bowl?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
I acquired a Peterson shamrock without realizing that there was a hole in the bottom of the bowl. I intend to keep and smoke this once it's repaired. I know that people will use "mud" to make the repair, can someone share details. The hole is perfectly round and looks like it was done with a 1/16 inch drill bit?
KGrHqZnYE-z75Yj2BP6evUKjw60_12.jpg

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I would actually use wood putty on that, perhaps try to stain it to match the color? When I first read your post and the picture didn't work, I thought you were trolling hard lol :rofl:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Even a wood screw would work. If memory serves, there was a pipe brand that had a model they called the ventilator, or carburetor, something like that, and it had some type of metallic gizmo at the base of the bowl. :D
OK, I found it at pipephil.eu
A valve on the bowl's bottom is supposed to regulate the air stream.

Period: 1937-1938, 1948-1976

Same device: Dunhill Airstream, Duke of Dundee, Passat, Steel's

Go to Kaywoodie Carburetor

You can just barely see the valve at the bottom in this pic, but the site has better detailed images.

carb1y.jpg

Maybe someone was going to convert your pipe into a carbureted job. :lol:

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
How thick is the briar where the hole is? I once repaired a Grabow author shaped pipe with a hole in the bottom of the bowl. Hole was quite a bit bigger than the one in yours. I used a three part repair which consisted of pipe mud,JB weld and wood filler.

After cleaning the bottom of the bowl thoroughly,I put a thin layer of JBW over the hole being careful not to push it all the way though. When it set up I put a layer of pipe mud over the JBW. On the outside I filled the hole with wood putty. When it dried used an Exacto knife and small files to duplicate the rustication,stained it and shellaced (just the repair) it to match the lacquer. It smoked fine, no weird tastes from the JBW. JBW is good for 600 degrees.

Another option would be a briar plug.

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
I'm actually starting to look forward to this project, thanks everyone.

I keep JBWeld in my bike took kit, wonderful stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.