How Come We Don't See Counterfeit Pipes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Briar Lee:

Regarding your "mystery" pipe (see image below), Richard Dunhill (one of Alfred's grandsons) passed in 2016. Some time after that, an eBay seller offered a selection of his personal pipes for sale, one or two of which I bid on and lost...badly. If memory serves, I believe that some of them were stamped "Not for sale." I do not recall, however, if those pipes carried the typical Dunhill production stamps.

While probably not Mr. Richard's own (I believe that he favored straight-grains), this pipe might, as others have suggested, have been made by and/or for a Dunhill employee.

It looks like a pip. May it reward you with pleasant companionship throughout the years.

1716587388497.png

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
For every real Rolex, there are probably thousands of fake ones.
I heard a story, many years ago about a guy who took a fake Rolex into a watch repairer somewhere in the States for service.

The guy behind the counter studied the watch with his eyepiece then reached under his desk and pulled out a hammer and proceeded to smash the watch to bits!

Naturally the guy was more than a little cheesed off and called in the cops who after a brief chat with the watch repair guy sold the unfortunate owner he had no case as apparently it is illegal in certain states to own fake anything.

How true that is I cannot say but I wouldn't be surprised if it is indeed true.

Jay.