PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

pygmig

Lurker
Jul 23, 2020
Washington DC
Once it gets into the thirties (F) I have a hard time tasting the tobacco. I figure that’s mostly me, though.

Don’t like cold food/sweets either, because I can’t taste them. Seems my palate has an effective temperature range

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

goldenmole

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2019
Copenhagen DK
I often have +5C to around -1C here in the Danish winter. Since I don't smoke inside or while walking,I now have one short smoke almost every evening out under a roof on the terrace unless it is too windy. Put on a thick winter coat and take a blanket. I consider making the winter smokes more occasional though, since this whole setup is not really pleasurable and reminds me that I might have a low level nicotine addition already. I could put a better chair in the garage and buy a space-heater, but this is not really nice either.

pip01

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 3, 2018
NJ
You need one of these beauties.

Attachments

• 20210107_135828.jpg
    20210107_135828.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 10

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
I’m a Canadian so I’ll see your 45 degrees F (7 degrees C) and raise you a -2 C, 28F-ish... You’re absolutely correct though it’s all about the wind, smoking a pipe in winds sucks, plus it’s much colder... Without much wind lower temps aren't that bad, but I ain’t gonna suffer for a bowl anymore with too much cold, better to enjoy the pipe later...:)

I’m an ice fisherman and used to smoke on the ice, but not much anymore, I’ll just smoke cigars out there unless maybe the conditions are perfect with zero wind...

Adebisi's hat

Lurker
Sep 19, 2020
I'm in the high Rockies of Colorado. When I'm working outside during the day I'll smoke at any temperature. When I'm not at work ideally I'll bundle up and smoke at 18 F and up at night. I haven't been smoking at night lately

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
It's more or less how much sun I get than how low the temp is. On days like today when we have clear sky and full sun, the front porch can be rather warm and nice. I was out smoking in shorts and tee. But without the sun, 45 can be miserable.

whitebar

Sep 12, 2015
Colorado
I live in Colorado where we have low humidity most of the time making it a dry climate. When the sun is out and there is no wind I can smoke easily down to 20F without feeling cold. I do think wind is a big variable here. I smoked a lot on the back of the boat when in Antarctica because I was shielded from the wind back there.

Spinkle

Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I’m smoking on my condo balcony as I type. Usually it’s very windy so I won’t this time of year but it’s dead quiet tonight. Currently it’s -7c (20f). I tend to smoke heavy nicotine shag cuts in small bowls this time of year when outside so I don’t end up sitting for an hour. When it hits about -12c I give up completely on smoking anywhere except my warm car.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
You need one of these beauties.
I have one of these. Works great unless there's a lot of wind. Sits right on top of a propane tank. $49 at Lowes.

340F1A67-A656-4670-8AB3-E2FF91B6195D.jpeg