PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BPatrick

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2024
Southwest Lower Michigan
The trouble with some of the reviews is that they got their pipe and tobacco on Monday, smoked a bowl or two on Tuesday and are experts by Wednesday. You can tell which ones these are because they rewrite jimInks reviews but in a different way. Some of my favorites smokes are two star smokes. Let your mouth make the decision and the best way to do that is buy 1 oz. samples and try them for yourself. You aren't going to go broke by buying a small sample, but then you will know if you like it or not.
Great point. I usually will do the 2 oz. Sample because I've convinced my wife that it's how much I need to smoke to know if I really like a blend. Lol

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
To summarize and qualify. I have followed, and continue to watch, the tobacco reviews page, it is a good tool to guide you, and of course here in the forum. I follow Jim a lot, and other veterans, excellent in the field. Besides, I do not have an extensive tobacco tasting, nor do I have the experience of many years. I am limited to the little I have, in brands or types of blends, that I have tried. Since I discovered too late the fantastic Esterval store. Where I could have stocked up in a big way. I was lucky enough to buy in neighborhood tobacconists, with decent tobaccos. Maybe 5 years since I started in the world of pipes.

Last edited:

BPatrick

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2024
Southwest Lower Michigan
To summarize and qualify. I have followed, and continue to watch, the tobacco reviews page, it is a good tool to guide you, and of course here in the forum. I follow Jim a lot, and other veterans, excellent in the field. Besides, I do not have an extensive tobacco tasting, nor do I have the experience of many years. I am limited to the little I have, in brands or types of blends, that I have tried. Since I discovered too late the fantastic Esterval store. Where I could have stocked up in a big way. I was lucky enough to buy in neighborhood tobacconists, with decent tobaccos. Maybe 5 years since I started in the world of pipes.
I haven't ordered from Esterval and are not familiar with them. I'll have to do a little research.

Reactions: JOHN72

khiddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
On my personal inventory spreadsheet, I have columns for the TR rating as well as the number of ratings that the number is based on, so that I can assess whether the average rating is a reliable consensus or is based on a handful of artificially loud voices.

I mean no disrespect when I say this as I am in awe of his prodigious smoking experience, but I actually don't find JimInks's reviews to be terribly helpful for getting a sense of what a new-to-me-blend may taste like or if I might enjoy it. I do note when he rates something 1 or 2 stars, and that is helpful in steering me away from a blend, but the actual text of his reviews is very formulaic and not terribly helpful to me. But I'm obviously in the minority with this opinion.

On the other hand, there is another prominent reviewer on TR that I am entirely befuddled by, another fellow named Jim, who writes 1200+ word novellas in every review, using voluminous amounts of obfuscatory language (usually when a much shorter and clearer word would express the idea more effectively), and never really says much of anything. I have said elsewhere that this particular fellow seems to be doing a longform comedy bit to which he has 100% committed, and to me that is his most amazing quality.

Reactions: BPatrick

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
Ive said it here before, reviews that say what non tobacco flavors they taste, are pretty useless.
In my opinion a good review talks about the moisture content of the tobacco, any added toppings, does it burn good, maybe the tobacco presentation. I understand the "bread" or "hay" thing and "floral"... but,
Once I read about it tasting like fresh grass clipping just after a rain, or the pages of a 50 year old book, or dry soil under a full moon......I just tune out. After two or three flavor comparisons, thats enough.
From many years of blind cigar and pipe tobacco tastings, I know that taste is extremely subjective. We all know that some Virginias are bread forward and some are hay forward.....I Don't care that YOU taste 49 different nuanced notes. That is not helpful...... in my opinion.

BPatrick

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2024
Southwest Lower Michigan
Ive said it here before, reviews that say what non tobacco flavors they taste, are pretty useless.
In my opinion a good review talks about the moisture content of the tobacco, any added toppings, does it burn good, maybe the tobacco presentation. I understand the "bread" or "hay" thing and "floral"... but,
Once I read about it tasting like fresh grass clipping just after a rain, or the pages of a 50 year old book, or dry soil under a full moon......I just tune out. After two or three flavor comparisons, thats enough.
From many years of blind cigar and pipe tobacco tastings, I know that taste is extremely subjective. We all know that some Virginias are bread forward and some are hay forward.....I Don't care that YOU taste 49 different nuanced notes. That is not helpful...... in my opinion.
Exactly

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Tobacco review are mostly useless as you mentioned taste is subjective. I find the only helpful part of them is that they list a blend's contents.
I like JimInks’ formulaic approach to his reviews, and one consistent element of that is a description of the relative proportions of component tobaccos. That’s far more valuable to me than any comparative flavor descriptions.

BPatrick

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2024
Southwest Lower Michigan
I like JimInks’ formulaic approach to his reviews, and one consistent element of that is a description of the relative proportions of component tobaccos. That’s far more valuable to me than any comparative flavor descriptions.
I really like to see the makeup of the blend and that kind of insight is valuable to me. Knowing what I like, it's interesting to hear how certain Orientals react with Latakia as I find it has the greatest effect on the blend. Now throw some Perique in there and I'm gonna want to try it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Interesting. I only recall his reviews commenting on the components not the proportions.

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
I find myself biased in favor of keeping bias in all reviews, especially in matters of taste. Whether it be tobacco or literature, I expect my reviewer to be biased. For one thing, it is impossible to be impartial on matters of taste. The best one can do is to be open about their biases and to be fairly open to having their minds changed and tastes challenged.

Outside of a court room or laboratory, impartiality and objectivity are grossly overrated. People treat being "objective" as being, well, an objectively good thing when it isn't always so. Conflict in tastes encourages diversity of opinion and in goods made for consumption, and also promotes change, especially in the arts. But even with matters of taste strictly in its most literal sense, trying to be objective is a roadblock to being honest in how we actually experience something. It's constraining.

Moreover, reviews that overly fuss trying to appear objective tend to be mealy mouthed and boring. If all I wanted was to read a list of ingredients, I would read the back of a soup can.

BPatrick

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2024
Southwest Lower Michigan
I find myself biased in favor of keeping bias in all reviews, especially in matters of taste. Whether it be tobacco or literature, I expect my reviewer to be biased. For one thing, it is impossible to be impartial on matters of taste. The best one can do is to be open about their biases and to be fairly open to having their minds changed and tastes challenged.

Outside of a court room or laboratory, impartiality and objectivity are grossly overrated. People treat being "objective" as being, well, an objectively good thing when it isn't always so. Conflict in tastes encourages diversity of opinion and in goods made for consumption, and also promotes change, especially in the arts. But even with matters of taste strictly in its most literal sense, trying to be objective is a roadblock to being honest in how we actually experience something. It's constraining.

Moreover, reviews that overly fuss trying to appear objective tend to be mealy mouthed and boring. If all I wanted was to read a list of ingredients, I would read the back of a soup can.
Where I differ on this is with a qualified opinion. I don't care about an opinion from someone, on an English blend, if they don't like English blends. It's utterly useless. I don't mind differing opinions at all. I just filter out the stupid ones.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I know right off of the bat that one huge bias with reviews of this sort is that most of us only review the blends we really love or really hate. It's a lot rarer for us all to write a review that states... fine, o.k., smokes well enough.... then worst thing I put in my pipe rather jump off the tallest building into a pit of broken glass and salt or my new religion is smoking this blend. Basically the fact that reviews come from being inspired versus duty causes a major bias.
So many reviews to me come across like this. "I don't know how to smoke a pipe, I hate this blend because I don't know how to smoke a pipe. It was hot and gave off a wispy white fume of some sort when I smoked it. Every time I touched the ember to my little fellow it got burnt, this blend sucks". I thought this blend would be perfect for scuba diving and yet to my huge disappointment it would not stay lit or even stay in the pipe.

BPatrick

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2024
Southwest Lower Michigan
I know right off of the bat that one huge bias with reviews of this sort is that most of us only review the blends we really love or really hate. It's a lot rarer for us all to write a review that states... fine, o.k., smokes well enough.... then worst thing I put in my pipe rather jump off the tallest building into a pit of broken glass and salt or my new religion is smoking this blend. Basically the fact that reviews come from being inspired versus duty causes a major bias.
So many reviews to me come across like this. "I don't know how to smoke a pipe, I hate this blend because I don't know how to smoke a pipe. It was hot and gave off a wispy white fume of some sort when I smoked it. Every time I touched the ember to my little fellow it got burnt, this blend sucks". I thought this blend would be perfect for scuba diving and yet to my huge disappointment it would not stay lit or even stay in the pipe.
Wait...G.L Pease jas a scuba diving blend 😂

• Haha
Reactions: anotherbob