PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

vink

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2015
Longueuil, Quebec
Nailed it right here and 10 years is even better. I can say lots of blends suck but I’d never say which ones. Seems low bar and it’s ok not to like something. That’s why we all have different and hopefully large cellars.
Well it was more about me Being frustrated with a blend liked by many. Title was maybe a bit too much but I was looking for some help on how to prepare it. Is it finicky somehow? I always found it was kind of wet but tried drying it for a while. It smoke well but no sweetness there at all...

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Well it was more about me Being frustrated with a blend liked by many. Title was maybe a bit too much but I was looking for some help on how to prepare it. Is it finicky somehow? I always found it was kind of wet but tried drying it for a while. It smoke well but no sweetness there at all...
HOTW, for me, works well with a slight bit of moisture left to it and rubbed out to the Nth degree to unlock all the flavor.

EDIT: also works best in a wider chamber.

forloveoffreedom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 29, 2013
Lots of folks like tobacco right out of the tin. I’m not one of those. For hotw, I’ll shred by hand and leave on my leather mat for maybe 30 minutes. Main thing is it’s not moist, brittle but not turning to dust when scrunched if that make sense. I’d say dry a bowl for 2 hours and the next for 30 minutes and smoke both at the same time in two pipes.
It’s ok if you end up disliking it, we have the freedom here to dislike stuff most times.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
We opened a tin of Hal with 10 or so years on it...it was super flat and boring. We thought maybe a mislabel but couldn't think of any Rattray so boring. I recently got some bulk and it's great, sweet, spicy and full.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Opened a tin of HOTW from 2010 today. The flavors have really mottled together, can't really detect the distinct components very well. The DFK is prevalent, the Red virginia has lost its edge and the Perique subdued, perhaps a bit of stewed fruit. That's all fine as long as you like that rather monochromatic flavor which I did. I still prefer Old Gowrie and it clearly ages better, at least to me.