PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

vink

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2015
Longueuil, Quebec
I think I clarified the title; hope you don't mind.

So title says it all. I recently opened a jar of HOTW that got nearly 8 years of age. I tried the stuff in like 3-4 different pipes and each time it tasted like an ashy, dirty, boring mostly DFK blend. No sweetness at all. Not much nicotine either. From the jar it smelled DFK forward too. Don’t take me wrong I like Va-DFK blends, but I thought this one was a Va forward blend with a bit of Kentucky. I’ve read many reviews saying it’s really sweet and I can’t get any sweetness at all! Do we need to dry this one like crazy or something?

Last edited by a moderator:

vink

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2015
Longueuil, Quebec
Have you ever tried Stonehaven? Thats another one that occasionally falls flat for some people depending on whether they get a good batch and are able to find the exact moisture level required to unlock the desired flavors.
Yeah many times! While it’s true sometimes it’s not as tasty as others it’s still pretty good.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

forloveoffreedom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 29, 2013
I'm a fan of HOTW but it needs 5 years or more of aging to get really good. You may have had a bad tin or it just didn't hit your sweet spot.
Nailed it right here and 10 years is even better. I can say lots of blends suck but I’d never say which ones. Seems low bar and it’s ok not to like something. That’s why we all have different and hopefully large cellars.