PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
What kills me is the name of some of these hot sauces.
Me too. There are some sauces that I'm sure a great but I haven't bothered with simply because of the names. :roll:
I will try to get you some details.
Thank you.
Just ordered a bottle of this:
7127Uc35lIL._SL1500_.jpg

It sounds interesting with the ingredient list:
61YHh7L-bEL._SL1050_.jpg

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
There's a local brand of hot sauce I like called poblano. I wish it had wider distribution as it's a really good habenero based sauce thats not to mild and not to hot.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I am amazed. My tolerance is about zero when it comes to hot sauces. A drop of tabasco and I'm crying for my mama. You guys are Supermen.
I used to be that way but then I married a girl from Mexico and gradually things changed. :D

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
It's all about food culture. Around here, traditional food is seasoned with salt only. I have moved to some pepper, curry and ginger. But I will forever be a halfling when it comes to spices.

Anahiems are a good pepper to get started introducing peppers into your cooking. They are more tasty than hot, and you can roast them, then add then to stews and dishes. Or, you can make a tasty enchelada sauce. But, they are below jalapeños in heat. But, then you can start adding a few jalapeños to bring up the heat slowly as you get used to the heat. Believe me, I am no heat lover. I prefer flavor over heat. Plus, they are really easy to grow.

glassjapan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2017
But I will forever be a halfling when it comes to spices.
It's like I tell my co-workers, If Texas Pete blows up your mouth, the pain is the same as somebody eating a ghost pepper. We all have our threshold and the trick is not crossing the line.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I have been told that the burn you feel from peppers is not a real burn, but only a psycho-somital reaction to some compounds in the peppers. So in theory, anyone should be able to eat all the hot stuff with some training. Now that is interesting.

The mind is powerful. With some training, people can walk on fire and play with their hands in fire. And, with hypnosis, people can get blisters on their skin from suggestions of sticking their hands in imaginary fire. Just because it is in your mind, doesn’t mean your body wont react as if you were really burned. I had sciatica, which is mearly a damaged nerve, and the pain an illusion, but even trying to keep in mind that I was not really damaged, my body reacted as if something was really messed up inside.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
My local grocery chain just announced that the Hatch chiles are in. Gonna grab a few pounds tomorrow.
Roast 'em, peel 'em and wrap half pound units in wax paper, then plastic for the freezer.
New Mexico style Green Chile Stew in my near future!
jay-roger.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
I like hot sauce more for the flavor, less for the hot. If I can't taste the food because the sauce is so hot, I don't see the point
That said, this is my go to hot sauce.
I can throw down with spicy foods with the best of them, and often times that's all it's really about... who can eat and handle the hot stuff. It's fun, in a strange way, when your trying to one up your friends while watching a game or some such. But when I'm just cooking for myself.... Tapatio is my go to as well. Great flavor, and just enough heat to make things interesting. Goes great on a number of foods from tacos to burgers and even adds amazing flavor and kick to spaghetti sauce.

morgansteele

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2018
+1 for Valentina. I but the extra hot version (black label) although it's not sold in a lot of places.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Where ever on the scale you fall in preference for the degree of heat, I think hot and spicy work best when they complement the flavors of the food. I don't want the food flavors burnt away. I want them emphasized and enhanced. For this purpose, some people need all the heat they can stand -- and some can stand a lot. It's a little like condiment tobaccos in this regard, Perique for example.

bouwser

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2018
m1342.jpg

Here is one of my favorite hot sauces. Not overly hot but there is a ton of flavor.
Valentina's is my go to for Mexican food.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Outside of breakfast, nearly every entrée I eat is jazzed up with some sauce with significant heat. I'll put either habanero salsa or horseradish sauce on my beef hotdogs rather then ketchup. Always put some really hot wing sauce on my fried chicken, cayenne sauces on my spaghetti and Cajun dishes. With Chinese food, has to be Hunan style. Like it very hot, though draw the line at ghost peppers. Tried a ghost pepper salsa and that 1 was over the line for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.