PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
The thread about peppers has inspired me to post about some of my favorite hot sauces. 8)
First up is a sauce that I don't consider hot but newcomers to hot sauces will. This has a wonderful flavor despite its low level of heat and is fantastic on seafood, chicken and other bids. One of my favorite dishes is a very simple one my wife makes. It's tuna, mayo, diced onions, and a bit of cilantro on a tostada drizzled with this sauce.
Valentina:
IMG_20180809_132848631.jpg

Next is a carrot based habanero hot sauce that sadly is not available online. I pick up a few bottles at the Bit & Spur restaurant that makes every time I visit Zion Park. The carrots have a natural sweetness that really plays of the heat of the habanero nicely. I'm currently looking for alternate to this one that I can order online. If I find one I'll let everyone know.
Fire Lizard Hot Sauce:
IMG_20180809_132900682.jpg

Next is a homemade one my friends from Mexico bring me when they visit. I'm not sure what all is in this but it has an oily texture. With a small amount there is good flavor but I never really notice any heat. Add more of this stuff, however, and it's like flipping a switch from mild to lava.
Homemade:
IMG_20180809_132943857.jpg

This last one is mustard based with ghost pepper bringing the heat. This one might not be for everyone. Not because of the heat but because of the mustard base flavor. The best I can describe it is heinz 57 in flavor with insane heat. Growing up I used to go almost weekly to a cheap buffet with my parents were I would dunk all-you-can-eat, breaded, fried shrimp in hienz 57 to my hearts content so I have a soft spot for the 57 stuff and this sauce really satisfies it but brings heat to the party.
I'm somewhat of a bratwurst aficionado and this stuff absolutely sings on a good brat. I'll eat any brat but my favorite are these: https://www.alaskasausage.com/German-Brand-Bratwurst.aspx
Hellhound:
IMG_20180809_132922168.jpg

P.S.
I'm going to go ahead and mention 2 more sauces.
First is Sriracha since it is a fantastic sauce however I find it better to cook/mix into the dish rather than as a topping. Sushi being an obvious exception to that.
Second is Tabasco. But I really only care for this on oysters. It's like a person can't put enough of this stuff on oysters and no other sauce seems to work as well for this application.
I would love to hear about everyone else's favorite sauces. Hot sauces aren't as bad as PAD or TAD but I've definitely got some sort of acquisition order for the stuff.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Those sound pretty darn good. I heavily favor Texas Pete Hotter Hot sauce when I want a good burn, otherwise, if I just want to just spice it up a tad, I got for the regular Texas Pete Hot Sauce or Franks Red Hot. Both darn tasty.
Reminds me of a time my Stepdad always said he couldn't find a hot sauce that he couldn't take...challenge accepted. Went to the hot sauce store down in Myrtle Beach, asked them what's the hottest sauce you have. At the time, it was Mad Dog 357:
This killer sauce is packing 357,000 Scoville Heat Units with a blend of 160,000 SHU Cayenne peppers, fiery hot red Habanero peppers, and a whopping 3,000,000 Scoville pepper extract will provide a tantalizing tingle from your tongue to your toes.
Mad-Dog-357-.png

He poured it out all over his pork chop the night I gave it to him. After two bites, he was drinking milk by the glassful. We all had tears in our eyes, but none more so than he did.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I’ve tried the Dave’s Insanity sauces but I’m no hot sauce aficionado. I do put Sriracha sauce on lots of things, but that’s more of a spicy ketchup than a proper hot sauce.

Valentina is one of my favorite store bought sauces, as well as Sriracha. But, I smoke my Jalapeños in the fall to make my own chipotle rubs. I also dry up a ton of pablanos to make an ancho powder that is the base for all of my chilis and stew sauces. I also use a ton of anahiems and serranos throughout the year, fresh, roasted, and dried to add a touch of heat to my dishes. I also grow marconis, yellow and red bells for my more Italian styled cooking.
I have concidered fermenting some peppers to make my own sauces, but I rarely use hot sauces as a topping. I tend to just cook with the peppers and allow the sauce to just form in the dish. Plus, between making wine, ginger ale, root beer, jams, tomato pastes, and curing my own tobaccos, I really don’t need to get into another gig with fermenting peppers.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I've heard of the Mad Dog 357. They have an "Extreme Mustard" version that I want to try but it's hard to find in stock. There's also silver and gold editions that really crank up the heat.
IMHO, I prefer something that also has good flavor that you can actually taste instead of just heat. For example, there are some really good spicy BBQ sauces out there but there are also some that are so hot you can enjoy the food it's on because of it.
I forgot to mention, the Hellhound above is not the hottest thing on the planet but it also shouldn't be underestimated. That's what I like about it.
The Franks hot sauce is excellent for wings.
I'll have to look for the Texas Pete Hot Sauce.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
For me, you might as well be talking about the rustiest and most jagged nail to drive through your arm. Hot peppers leave me cold.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
I like hot sauce more for the flavor, less for the hot. If I can't taste the food because the sauce is so hot, I don't see the point
That said, this is my go to hot sauce.

22650.jpg

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
My heat level is habanero.
But I read somewhere that eating really spicy food can diminish your ability to taste other things, like pipe tobacco. Is that the case?

I know that when I have eaten something really, really hot, the heat goes up from my tongue through my nose, out the top of my head with the sweat glands getting triggered, and I lose my sense of smell and taste for a while. I don't eat hot things often, and I prefer the heat to be balanced with flavor, so that I can enjoy my food. But, when I do eat something hot, my sense of taste and smell returns... eventually. If I am in a shady Mexican hole in the wall, eating something really hot can make going to the horrible bathroom facilities there more bearable. But, since college, I don't really visit rank little hole in walls anymore.
The endorphins firing off from eating something hot is kind of a rush, but balance between the "feeling" and the effects of losing taste and smell and the pain of going to the bathroom a few hours latter are not worth that cheap little rush you get from overdoing the heat. IMO
I do like a balanced heat with flavor. And, I am just as put off by Mexican foods that have no spice at all.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
But I read somewhere that eating really spicy food can diminish your ability to taste other things, like pipe tobacco. Is that the case?
Not too sure on that one. I eat spicy foods all the time, but can still taste my tobacco. I reckon it all depends on the palate.
If I can't taste the food because the sauce is so hot, I don't see the point
Ordered wings one time at a local BWW's and since you could choose your sauce as well as the degree of heat in it, I chose something with a good sauce and little above average heat, just because I like it spicy. Well, they brought me some with the wrong sticker for the heat, or so I thought. The heat was so intense I couldn't even taste the chicken. I love the spice, but like you, if you can't taste what is on it, then what's the point.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Love all the above. Crystal and Durkee's are great cayenne sauces. If you like a similar with a bunch of black pepper, highly recommend the below. Amazing on scrambled eggs or even ribs.
b7715e3284df3c700413309e7c6051e5.image.400x550.jpg

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I have had that one. It made me think of another one I like whenever I end up at a Firehouse subs place, which by the way is a great way to sample different hot sauces. They have one called Scorned Woman which is mighty tasty.
2579_large.jpg

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
In addition to Louisiana Hot Sauce and Cholula, I always keep a couple bottles of Matouk’s Calypso Sauce on hand.

Any piper can appreciate the fact that they don’t use ordinary Scotch Bonnets, they use “Aged” Scotch Bonnets!!

It is delightfully sweet and hot, perfect on burgers or eggs.
UZv96KH.jpg

glassjapan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2017
One hot sauce that I've turned a lot of people onto is Sontava Habanero sauce. I'm not a big fan of vinegar based sauces, and Sontava is carrot based. Very tasty and the average hot sauce lover can deal with the heat.

Also been adding Blair's Ultra Death sauce to milder sauces to spike them up. Blair's products are just insanely hot.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Shanez, we make a very good made in house carrot habanero where I work.
I will try to get you some details.
jay-roger.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.