PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
If you knew what hot dogs were actually made of you wouldn't put them in your mouth no matter how they were cooked!

That tasty mix of stuff inside the casing is what makes them soooo damned tasty. I love mine topped with the bright green relish, among other condiments, and bedded in that tasty sesame seed bun. Nothing like it!

BCF

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 23, 2022
Pennsylvania
1000005251.jpg
In a pan with bacon grease, or on the grill. Mustard and fried onions, sometimes wrapped in bacon, sometimes with chili.

The Primal Screams are HOT, not spicy. My older self has the spirit for them, but not the digestive system.

At least they're gluten free!! 🤣🤣

Attachments

• 1000005250.jpg
    1000005250.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: bullet08 and JOHN72

Sig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
We "grow" all our own meat.
I have made hotdogs before but by the time you add the "stuff" to make them taste like a hotdog......its kinda not appetizing. To make them the correct consistency and make them taste like a hotdog versus a sausage, you need them to cure. For that you need a LOT of salt....and sugar. To make it taste like a Ballpark, you cannot just use salt. Things like sodium nitrate and sodium erythobate potassium and a few other chemicals. Plus you need a lot of fat or organ meats for texture and taste. If you just use the usual hotdog spices...coriander, cumin, paprika, cinnamon...... but not the sodium and other chemicals, they just taste different than a hotdog.
Sausages on the other hand, we make them all the time......for us and to sell.
The biggest difference is you don't need to cure all sausages.
Just mix meat with spices(cooked or uncooked) into a casing, cook and enjoy.

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
I like them uncured and fried up in a pan with peanut oil. Or on a stick over a fire while camping. Something about that makes them taste even better to me. Oh and with mustard.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Jesus, like everything else we eat is right from the garden of Eden.
Hot dogs are great for what they are, which is many things to many people.