PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maineyachtie

Can't Leave
Aug 14, 2010
What's your favorite coffee? How do you take it? How many cups a day?
Starbucks vs Dunkin Donuts. Thoughts?
Tea drinkers welcome also.
Do you have a favorite tobacco/coffee or tobacco/tea pairing?

storm

Lurker
Aug 9, 2010
Stronger seems to be better, especially if it's to accompany a pipe.
Starbucks by day.
At home, a French press makes the tastiest brew, though I usually use my regular drip coffee maker for sake of convenience.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Choice of coffee at our house is Baby's Fausto's Palace, always black. Baby's is in Key West.

If there's choice between Starbuck's and Dunkin' Donuts I'll take DD every time. I find the Starbuck's products to be too acidic for me.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I drink Folgers Black Silk from a 1 cup french press.

Only use drip machine when there are more than just myself having coffee, and poker nights. While I love a good triple shot latte there just isn't enough caffeine, to suit me.... therefore the french press is my machine of choice.

surfmac211

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I have Pasquini Livia 90 espresso machine I got off of craigslist for $300. Its usually a $1500 machine though(personally think the dude jacked it and didn't know what he had because it was pretty much brand new :/ LOL).

I love McClelland's Mellow Mack and a good cup of coffee/espresso. One of my favorites.

recurl

Lurker
Aug 14, 2010
Double fresh ground hazelnut dark roast ran through a espresso pot with 2/3 cup hot milk with a lot of sugar (VERY HOT). Your 1st sip will grab ya by the ears and slap ya.

whitebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2010
"Almost' any coffee--prefer arabica in a one cup drip machine--strong is better--
BUT will settle for what is available, even GASP!!, instant, if that is all that there is--
i haven't yet adopted the system a friend of mine uses--he ""dips"" instant coffee as some folk dip snuff--that may be beyond me!!

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
I love Kona. I have a cousin who recently moved to Hawaii and she's occasionally able to get me some of the top shelf beans straight from the plantation, the kind that don't get put into commercial blends. I also love Jamaican Blue Mountain but haven't been able to find any locally for several years.

maineyachtie

Can't Leave
Aug 14, 2010
I guess I should chime back in with my coffee habits.
I tend to be on again off again with coffee. Either not drinking it at all for several months or drinking much more than is healthy. Lately it's been Starbucks espresso brewed in the Via Venezia machine. Either straight or just a few drops of milk (machiato).
When I drink "coffee" coffee I love a dark, full flavored blend, french press preferred. My absolute favorite is Starbucks "Gold Coast", but I haven't seen it in the stores for many months.
You may have guessed by now, I prefer Starbucks to Dunkin Donuts, hands down.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Best pairing so far is Gawith & Hogarth Brown Irish Twist with an espresso.

redfox

Might Stick Around
Jun 16, 2010
I agree with the jamaica blue mountain!! YUM. French press is my coffee making machine of choice(since i don't have a real espresso machine). Darker roasts are what i prefer since i'm not a caffeine junkie, usually an italian or french roast. I prefer starbucks over DD but only as far as mixed drinks. I think both of their black coffees are really disgusting so i usually brew at home!

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I fresh grind my beans every morning in a ten dollar grinder and use a Cuisinart expresso machine that makes 4 cups . I use real cream and cane sugar . Copan Café San Marcos Supremo is my favorite then Starbucks . Threw the DD beans in the trash .I do enjoy Yuban . I like my coffee strong . Stop by and I will cut you a slice .

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
About any French roast coffee is fine by me as I tend to drink huge amounts. I don't care for any of the "Seattle " type coffees . They all taste burnt to me.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Stop by and I will cut you a slice .
That sounds like a mean cup of coffee!
I used to have a Black & Decker grinder and liked to grind Spotlight or Eight '0' Clock coffees when they were a smart choice cost-wise. Someone must have caught on to how good they are because now they've gotten kind of steep.
I like connoisseur coffees just as much as the next guy, but sometimes a good cup of instant really hits the spot. Maybe it runs in the blood because my Grandma used to put instant in cereal and on ice cream.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
My all time favorite is Sumatra, freshly ground. But I drink so much coffee that I really can't afford a steady diet of that, so I drink Hill's Bros. medium roast, mild -- about 12 cups a day! I make an extra strong brew from a standard drip machine.
In the A.M. I pair it with CoffeeMate and the slightest dash of Splenda sweetener, and bolt it down with a few bowls of P.A. -- de rigueur.
After that I drink it black -- warm in the winter and room temp in the summer.
Earl Grey Tea, hot, mixes well with most tobaccos that I've tried. I think it's the orangey oil of bergamot additive that blends so well with Virginias.

Status
Not open for further replies.