PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

robcapp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2017
Massachusetts
Question for those who bought this one for their cellar - are you leaving it in the sealed bag it came in, or opening and jarring portions?

If you're leaving in bags, are there any thoughts how long this is good for?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
It's packed ion a good quality Mylar bag, but it isn't a foil laminate. It may keep forever in that bag, it may not. I'm going to slice up some big chunks into the really small Ball jars (2oz?), but I'm also going to put a whole stick, sealed in the bag, into one of the tall Ball jars (you know, the Asparagus-sized ones?). My thought is that it will take me quite a while to smoke through an entire log, so better to jar it in bite-sized bits. The sealed Mylar bag will make for good trading fodder in five years.

robcapp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2017
Massachusetts
Thinking about it a bit further, I recall Mike McNeil strongly recommending not aging tobacco in plastic... I interpreted through his comments that it was because of the 'out gassing' chemicals of the plastic tainting the tobacco.

In any case, at this stage I'll leave mine in their plastic, and jar as Woods suggested.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Curly Block needs to be taken out of the plastic and put in jars. The bags they come in are not for long term storage. I really wish they were because I hate jarring tobacco.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Actually, the bag that mine came is heavy weight Mylar. The best bag I’ve ever seen pipe tobacco come in, except for Esoterica.

robcapp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2017
Massachusetts
How did you jar yours, Harris and npod?

As whole logs, or cut chunks? What size jars?

I am erring on the side or leave in bag, and put in large jar as woods suggested. Tobacco collaring is fun isn't it!

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I got large jars that hold three intact dongs in their bags each. They are not Ball mason jars, but similar. They are big!

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
1/4's stack 2 at a time inside a normal ball jar nicely fyi. I have about 10 jars right now ha

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
This just happened:

Wife - “What are you doing?”

Me - “Cutting up my dong and storing it in little jars.”

Wife - “Those jars are to big.”

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Here are photos of my setup. I use Bormioli Rocco Fido jars (the same ones my grandma used to store pickles and olives long term).
You can put 6 Curly Blocks in one 5 Liter jar (shown below). I then seal and double wrap with parafin wax. I keep the blocks in their original mylar bags and just stuff 6 in a jar.
sbzqZ2k.jpg

ytMvCd5.jpg

jEY4QyM.jpg

My new puppy LOVES the smell of Curly Block :)
oIyMiLL.jpg

*Note: my post above was incorrect, the jars hold 6 blocks, not 3.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Sold out most places (no thanks to this thread). It's tax day, I have a couple of finbacks leftover to spend and I can't buy a horse dong? Uuuugh...

Status
Not open for further replies.