PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
lightmybriar, the course sounds fascinating. You'll learn mechanical engineering, physics, materials, and more. I think the career openings might be severely limited and specialized niches, but if you are doing it for the love of it, that's no consideration. We will soon have children graduating from high school, I fear, who won't be able to read an analog clock or watch. Being backward about all things digital, and maybe a little too proud of it, I wear a watch and rarely refer to devices for the time, though my watches are quartz. Notably, the digital readout is not always right. bassbug, that is an amazing wooden clock. My grandparents had a mantel clock that rung out the hour. My wife lived in a farmhouse and her dad collected clocks, and they went off at all hours, so to her, it was just the sound of home.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Being wood, it does go through some expansion and contraction, but not a lot and certainly not like solid wood that expands and contracts across the grain. That's the main reason to use baltic birch. The cross lamination technique used to make the baltic birch also all but eliminates cupping and twisting.
I have seen some gear wheels made of solid wood but they are a lamination of pieces cut so the grain is always radiating outward to the outer circumference. It looks pretty, but I'm still not completely satisfied that its as stable as the baltic birch.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Congratulations Steve. I know a collector in case you need to repair some watches for practice :nana:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/clock-and-watch-collection-pic-heavy

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
WOW!!! What a super cool response to god thread! I was even hesitant to post because I thought it might be boring haha! It’s been a real pleasure reading all of your guys’ posts here. Bassbug, that’s quite a creation there! So cool.
Thanks for all the encouragement and well-wishing, guys. I’ll keep you updated on how things go.
Quality tools are definitely a must, ssjones, as even just for this week-long course, I needed to spend over $1,000 on tools. Sold a Gibson Firebird :crying: and a few Dunhills to gain the funds, but those aren’t terribly difficult to come by so it was a worthy sacrifice.
I’ll definitely let you guys know when I become competent for repairs. Maybe I could end up helping you guys out some!
Thanks again, everybody!

Status
Not open for further replies.