PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Happy end of the week, all.
This Monday, I will be attending AWCI’s week-long 21st Century Watchmaking Standards class. It is my first official step towards what I hope will be a path ending in becoming a professional watchmaker / watch repair person. Are there any professional horologists here, or even just hobbyists? Just wondering!
Wishing you all a very lovely weekend!

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Not sure that this make me an horologist, but I did build this one from scratch.
img_0761-600x450.jpg

img_0759-600x450.jpg

Edit: Fixed pictures/Al

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
This interests me. I personally know of only one person that still wears a watch, and the only clocks in my home are the ones on my family's phones. It hadn't occurred to me that many artisan makers and repairmen were still about.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
There's something about the ticking of a clock that is magic. Even more so if its driven by gravity or a spring rather than electricity in any form.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The best present I got for my wife was a grandfather clock last Christmas. Still leaning to remember to wind it every Sunday. The chime (a single bell) is loud and clear, and we both love it, in spite of relying on iPhones for actual time.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
@Bassbug: Wow! That is the nicest woodwork I have ever seen. Are those wheels (I don't know the correct word in english, gear? Cogwheel?) reinforced in any way to keep the teeth from breaking?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Nope, still nothing. Maybe one has to be logged on to Google to be able to see them embedded here.
No worries, though, I've seen it in person. :)

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I enjoy this post and wish you great cheers on your goal. My a Grandpa was a watchmaker as a young man and later in life he always maintained a watch repair side business. I got his tools after he died. Besides pipes, I collect watches.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Are those wheels (I don't know the correct word in english, gear? Cogwheel?) reinforced in any way to keep the teeth from breaking?
Nope.
Technically, they are called gears, but in the hobby clockmaking world everyone seems to refer to them as wheels for some reason. The wheel are made out of baltic birch because it is dimensionaly stable and much less prone to breaking in the pointy parts.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Sounds like an interesting new path for sure. I stopped wearing my watch because it didn't agree with dough and batter at work, and then the kids would grab it off me.
I'm sure there is a watch forum somewhere where they are surprised there are artisanal pipe carvers too.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
A quick Google search shows at least half a dozen watchmaking or watch repair forums, but I suspect the lightmybriar is already way beyond the average hobbyist level.
Kudos to you though lightmybriar. Its guys like you that keep time honoured (excuse the pun), traditional professions from disappearing.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is fascinating! When you get ready, I have my grandfathers Elgin pocket watch from the 1920's that needs repair.

I've dabbled a little and found you really need decent tools, or you'll just screw up a wristwatch! (tried to swap quartz movements).
I missed a fantastic opportunity to repair that pocketwatch. My wife's Uncle, owned a shop in Maryland and did service for all the Western Maryland railroad guys. He became too old but still had his tools and full parts inventory. He said that he could guide me and make the repair, it was pretty simple. I didn't follow thru and he passed away, with his tools/parts sold to a repair place in DC. Missed opportunity for sure.
There's a number of decent guys on the WatchUSeek forums. One guy did make the swap on my Accutron quartz chronograph. It had a very nice ETA quartz movement it was worth saving.

Status
Not open for further replies.