PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tenton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 8, 2019
I used a mixture of honey and tobacco ash to coat a new pipe that came with an uncoated bowl. This was a very long time ago and it accomplished pretty much nothing. Would never do it again.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've only done this when it was offered at my local independent pipe shop to observe a fine old tradition. I'm not even sure there is a conscious rationale, but I think it is supposed to make some ash adhere to the chamber to get the cake started. Since I don't build cake (just maintain thin carbon layer) it does't relate to my smoking. However, sometimes ritual is good in itself and keeps an event firmly in memory that would otherwise be completely forgotten. Living isn't just the mechanics of existing, as all pipe smokers know.

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
supposedly it helps get an even cake started. I've never heard of it hurting anything. So....
I don't normally let cake build up too much, but when I get lazy I don't think I've ever built an even cake. It's always thicker in the middle and about the same diameter in the middle.

Reactions: anotherbob

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
My experience closely mirrors @hoosierpipeguy - all these forms of building cake can just as readily be accomplished with - wait for it! - just packing and smoking the pipe in question. If you want to lay down a few layers of carbonization in a new pipe, smoke a few bowls of Carter Hall or similar blend. Or just proceed to your usual pipeweed. There are lots of little pipesmoking techniques the smoker learns through time, but actually building up layers of carbon on the bowl's interior really doesn't represent a challenge, IMO.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I do believe in smoking a few half full pipes.. just because in a new pipe it can be hard to smoke to the bottom... If you smoke the pipe a few times not to the bottom it seems like you can never get any carbon in the bottom, and I like to have some.

tech49

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2020
Hamburg Twp, MI
I have some cheap unfinished pipes from Amazon that I've abused, or they're not the highest quality briar (both actually) and had a couple fine fissures develop in the bottom of the bowl. Spot application of honey in those areas filled them in nicely after about 3 bowls smoked.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
If your pipe is pre coated, fill the bowl with your favorite tobacco and smoke as normal. If you have an uncoated bowl, like a Castello or Rinaldo, fill it with your favorite tobacco and smoke as normal.

If you need to coat your bowl with anything, dunk your pipe in water or go through a ceremony with a witch doctor before you smoke your first bowl.....you need to toss it and get a decent pipe.

• Haha
Reactions: saltedplug