PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The profit motive is a lot gentler when not protected by regulations.
I acknowledge the crazy profits of the pharmaceutical industry, but also the crazy risks on researching drugs that may turn out to be nothing.
On the other hand, sometimes they do the decent thing:

https://science.slashdot.org/story/16/04/02/1624246/uk-pharma-giant-gsk-wont-patent-its-drugs-in-poorer-countries

the one sticking out for me was the weapons of mass destruction or lack there off,

I'm not sure if that was conspiracy or just failed intelligence. But, at the time, we just needed an official reason for war, the rest of us were locking and loading, ready to kick some ass without really needing a reason. If W had not of used WMD, he would have had such an uprising on the right, that he would have been riden' out of DC with a new tar feather suit.
Hitler conspiracy that he lived and fled. That wouldn't be a conspiracy. More like us being fooled. It has to have an element of us allowing or fabrication the false story to cover up something else to be conspiracy, usually covering something evil.
We falsely allow drug companies to gouge us and hide the real cures for the diseases to enslave a nation, or something like that.

They falsely created concentration camps in Germany after the war to have the excuse to finally rid us of Jews and establish Israel at the expense of Palestinians.
They faked the lunar landing to win the cold war.
There has to be a nefarious reason behind the intentional lie to be a conspiracy.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
When in hell has DC ever listened to people outside the beltway about anything ?
That, in itself, would be a very bad sign. Probably in Latin with a Spanish accent.
My big question is, when does this pipe craze lead to more powerhouse tobacco blends?
I love some mild blends, but others...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJdQfjaRAG0

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
The idea that the tiniest amount of a substance can be dissolved in a huge amount of water, and then since "the water has memory" that water can be used to cure whatever disease is considered "the opposite" of whatever properties the no longer actually present in measurable quantities substance had.
If cyanide is the cure, for example, the dilutions for homeopathy are so severe that a swimming pool would stastically contain zero molecules of cyanide. A practitioner might claim that the recipe contains the memory of the cyanide and that is enough to cure you. Furthermore, because the recipe doesn't have to actually contain anything, people will, for a fee, produce homeopathic medicines over the Internet. You hold your jar near the computer and they hold poison near theirs.

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
You know what they call homeopathic medicines that are proven to work? Medicine.

I'm inclined to replace "homeopathic" with "alternative" in this case. I see what you were doing, but I think that homeopathy by its very nature just doesn't work; the pills don't even contain the original material. But then you get alternative treatments like traditional herbs used to treat various ailments that end up being studied and confirmed to contain a substance that does, in fact, perform better than a placebo in double blind trials! And that's when you drop the "alternative." The classic example is of course that of Aspirin, which was originally produced from a chemical (salicylic acid) found in the bark of willow trees. Another win for the scientific method!

madmurdoc

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2012
North Idaho
I'm inclined to replace "homeopathic" with "alternative" in this case. I see what you were doing, but I think that homeopathy by its very nature just doesn't work; the pills don't even contain the original material. But then you get alternative treatments like traditional herbs used to treat various ailments that end up being studied and confirmed to contain a substance that does, in fact, perform better than a placebo in double blind trials! And that's when you drop the "alternative." The classic example is of course that of Aspirin, which was originally produced from a chemical (salicylic acid) found in the bark of willow trees. Another win for the scientific method!
The actual quote uses the term 'alternative medicine' I generally consider them interchangeable because when someone is talking about alternative medicine, they're usually talking about homeopathic "medicine".

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
There are unintended conspiracies that evolve within the concept of ownership in a 'for profit' society.

Monopolizing resources, rewarding the corporate hierarchy disproportionately, and maximizing profit over sustainability.

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
To many, that the model rules it out is sufficient to close the book on it.

Most of us aren't active in the field of research, so we must satisfy ourselves with the information available to us. One of the things that make the scientific method so useful is that it allows for currently accepted information--I expect many would call this information "factual" at the time--to be altered and amended based on new findings. Hence researchers finally gathering the information necessary to figure out just how those darn bees stay aloft. We simply didn't have the tools (high-speed recording technology) necessary to properly observe and understand them in the past. The "model" undergoes constant refining based on the newest, most reliable information available, which of course means gaps in our understanding pose a perpetual issue. Then scientific research helps fill those gaps. The model isn't broken, but it is constantly maintained and adjusted, always a work in progress.

I trust my doctor. If he messes up, I can hold him responsible with a lawsuit. If I start taking advice from some half-dead looking moron at a health food store, there's no threat of malpractice looming over their heads keeping them educated on the latest research.

Ever notice how people working in healthfood stores all look like the most unhealthy people on the planet?

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
Conspiracy : kindly at least skim the information in the Mises link. Then decide.
+1
War : Follow the money trail. Saddam announced he was going to accept other currencies beside the petrodollar in payment for his country's oil. There's your "uprising on the right."
+1
"Uprising" : When in hell has DC ever listened to people outside the beltway about anything ?
+1

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Western people chronically assume their models of reality are tantamount to reality itself -- so much so that, as here, they assume that the two are synonymous.
That is to me a large problem.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
The correlation with any alternative theory, and a newer paradigm, is that we can not always determine the false positive, at least in the extreme existence of a universal axiom. This is especially true when stringing random words together.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Interesting read, thanks!
My wife and I both gave up daily big pharma prescriptions two years ago for healthy diet and moderate daily exercise. I haven't felt this good in years. Seemed awful coincidental that the newest meds pushed were the ones most often advertised. Recurrent sinus infections I suffered for almost 15 years are now almost entirely prevented by use of Neti pot, which cost me a whopping $14. I don't consider this stuff necessarily homeopathic, but rather common biological sense. Still get yearly physical, since it's a "free" benefit that comes with overpriced health insurance.
BTW, in 2015 there was very little fanfare regarding the news story that CIA purchased a large stockpile of chemical warheads from a dealer in Iraq. Heard a blip on the radio one February morning last year, and confirmed with a rather small blip of story in NY Times. I have to ask myself why this story didn't make headlines, guess it would have challenged progressive views about our involvement in the area.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
SJ- Did you read the rest of the thread? I am sure it—however you define it—is no joke to a number of folks. I don't happen to practice it, but there's no need to be insulting to those who may.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Ever notice how people working in healthfood stores all look like the most unhealthy people on the planet?
Many times. I went looking for the Mad Magazine image of the deathy health food store clerk but could not locate it. I remember another feature in the article was the doctor who dispensed health advice with a full ashtray on his desk. I wish doctors could smoke because Nicotine seems to enhance analytical abilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.