PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
I can't believe more people aren't giving this thread more love. We should celebrate people growing their own. Encourage it. Insist, even.
Seriously, this may be the future of pipe smoking for most of us.

I just heard about a friend of a friend who is growing his own in northern Wisconsin -- a state that used to hold its own in US tobacco production. I may need to learn the ropes from him (I live only an hour away).

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Inspiration received. I wonder if it’s already too late to try to get some going for this summer in Alaska...

Don’t even know if it’s possible, but it seems like the cost of entry isn’t prohibitive...
Do it bro. Maybe a fast maturing burley variety? Yellow Twist Bud? Even if it’s an absolute bust this season you’ll learn heaps about how the plant grows, mould and when to start seedlings

Singularis

Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis

Singularis

Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
If you haven’t got seeds already, this is the spot:

They also do pipe/cigar seed packs with a handful of varieties
Couple quick questions:

- How much time from seed to harvest is required? Short growing season up here in Wausau, Wis.
- Is full sun required?
- How much space to get a decent enough crop to make it worth your while?

Reactions: Ahi Ka and chopper

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Couple quick questions:

- How much time from seed to harvest is required? Short growing season up here in Wausau, Wis.
- Is full sun required?
- How much space to get a decent enough crop to make it worth your while?
Tobacco seems to take forever to get to the seedling stage so I start germination half way through Winter indoors under a LED light [CFL lights are also good] so that seedlings are ready for planting after the risk of frost has passed.

My ground is solid clay so I grow in large pots.
Atm I'm still learning so I've been growing around ten plants a year. It's totally worth the effort.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Those are big leaves for sure. Looks perfectly dried/cured. Well done.
Thanks bro. I smoked some of my semois-Martin this week and then had a few bowls of tabac manil yesterday, both Le petit robin and la brumeuse. This homegrown stuff is pretty much identical, if anything has a slightly more vegetal taste still but I’m putting that down to not having been toasted yet and the crappy rough chop rather than a nice cut. I’m pretty excited as I now essentially have an unlimited supply of one of my favourite styles of tobacco

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Seems like if you have a dependable home grown crop you are just about set for any tobacco shortages. Impeding commercial production with regulations is one thing, but legislating against growing for home use seems unlikely. Even during U.S. Prohibition on alcoholic beverage production, making beer and wine for home use was not illegal. You just can't sell your home-grown leaf.
Can you believe that growing tobacco for personal use is a more serious offence than growing weed here in Nanny State Australia?

Meh. I'm not one to pay much attention to immoral laws.

• Sad
Reactions: OzPiper and Ahi Ka

rajangan

Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
I think it's too late to start seed for Alaska unless if you have a greenhouse. You would want to start them in March and get them outside once the ground warms up to at least 55°, probably against a sunny wall if possible.

It wouldn't hurt to try though because it'll go much smoother next year.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I think it's too late to start seed for Alaska unless if you have a greenhouse. You would want to start them in March and get them outside once the ground warms up to at least 55°, probably against a sunny wall if possible.

It wouldn't hurt to try though because it'll go much smoother next year.

My soil temp still isn’t 55. I was planting some raspberries last week and had ice at 2”.