PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Humidity in the curing season can be problematic, especially for crops you are air curing. It is not something however that is unmanageable. There is lots of advice and experience at the fair trade tobacco forum from members who have been successful pretty much growing everywhere.

I’d say that giving it a go is the best learning curve. I lost about 50% of my first seasons crop to mould a couple of years back. And most of what I was able to salvage requires being washed in vinegar/water solution to remove surface stuff. However, even a failure has helped my intuition this season. I’m actually looking forward to next years grow as I feel way more comfortable about the process.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Anyone who can keep a work area as clean as that tobacco shed inspires my awe. If I sit down in pristine forest, by the time I get up, it looks a little cluttered. Even if I don't bring anything with me or litter at all.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Anyone who can keep a work area as clean as that tobacco shed inspires my awe. If I sit down in pristine forest, by the time I get up, it looks a little cluttered. Even if I don't bring anything with me or litter at all.
I had just waxed the floor the week before hence the emptiness...despite the photographic evidence, according to my wife it is NOT going to be our tobacco shed

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Anyone have some good links to start researching this? I live in MN but we do get a spurt of hot n' humid and there's always grow lights for longer if needed. May be fun to add some plants it to this years hot peppers.
This forum has been invaluable:

This is an overview of growing process which is well worth a read regardless:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Seems like if you have a dependable home grown crop you are just about set for any tobacco shortages. Impeding commercial production with regulations is one thing, but legislating against growing for home use seems unlikely. Even during U.S. Prohibition on alcoholic beverage production, making beer and wine for home use was not illegal. You just can't sell your home-grown leaf.

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
I would love to attempt a grow, however the end season drying and curing worry me due to our cold and humid fall, then of course winter... I don't think i have the climate for it to work out. That burley sure looks amazing, congrats
There are 269 tobacco farms in Ontario and I'm growing in Edmonton so I'm pretty sure you should start growing next year. I dare say that even if you lived in Kenora, you'd be able to pull off a crop.