PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
The ground temperature is only important for growth, not survival. Anything above 40 and it can survive. It's just pointless to take a plant growing in a pot and put it into ground where it'll stop growing.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
The ground temperature is only important for growth, not survival. Anything above 40 and it can survive. It's just pointless to take a plant growing in a pot and put it into ground where it'll stop growing.

I’d imagine the frost line would move faster than root growth, at this point. I can always dig a big ass hole and then transplant into fresh soil so it stays warm throughout the growing season. My major concern is getting them big enough to transplant in time. Everything I’m reading is saying it takes several weeks. They’d definitely get full sun and plenty of water once in the ground, but I don’t know if there’d be enough time left by then.

Reactions: chopper

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
I’d imagine the frost line would move faster than root growth, at this point. I can always dig a big ass hole and then transplant into fresh soil so it stays warm throughout the growing season. My major concern is getting them big enough to transplant in time. Everything I’m reading is saying it takes several weeks. They’d definitely get full sun and plenty of water once in the ground, but I don’t know if there’d be enough time left by then.
It's much warmer here. We had our last frost last week and I've stated planting. If I didn't have seedlings and had to start now, I would probably go with either a variety I know to grow quickly, or one that doesn't get very big. The fastest grower I have is Delhi-34, a Canadian bright tobacco from Delhi research station in Ontario. I would have to mail those to you. Pm if you would like some and I'll send them off right away. I think you should also order seeds from northwoodseeds.com because coming from Washington might be faster than from Alberta. I would suggest Harrow Velvet as a mild Canadian burley which might grow alright. But look at their varieties and see what interests you.
Northwood Seeds Providing organically grown seed for home gardeners - http://northwoodseeds.com/Seed%20List2.htm

Plan on stalk curing. Before temperatures in fall drop below 30 hang the entire plants in a place that's 60-80 and not too dry or humid. Basically.

The next year will go better with this practice.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
It's much warmer here. We had our last frost last week and I've stated planting. If I didn't have seedlings and had to start now, I would probably go with either a variety I know to grow quickly, or one that doesn't get very big. The fastest grower I have is Delhi-34, a Canadian bright tobacco from Delhi research station in Ontario. I would have to mail those to you. Pm if you would like some and I'll send them off right away. I think you should also order seeds from northwoodseeds.com because coming from Washington might be faster than from Alberta. I would suggest Harrow Velvet as a mild Canadian burley which might grow alright. But look at their varieties and see what interests you.
Northwood Seeds Providing organically grown seed for home gardeners - http://northwoodseeds.com/Seed%20List2.htm

Plan on stalk curing. Before temperatures in fall drop below 30 hang the entire plants in a place that's 60-80 and not too dry or humid. Basically.

The next year will go better with this practice.

I’ll shoot you a PM. I also sent an email to Northwoods earlier today asking for suggestions on varieties that might work in this situation.

smknron

Can't Leave
Sep 9, 2019
West Central Florida
I’d also say to anyone curious about homegrown to grab some whole leaf tobacco. Even just to play around to get a feel for moisture, processing, and storage
Definitely agree, I've been using it for a couple of years now and today I'm enjoying some amazing pressed Virginia red leaf with a smaller % of Virginia cavendish. I'd have to look at my notes for exact numbers (scary to view lol) but it's there somewhere. One day when I find time I'll get all my scribble organized.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Here are some pics of what I was bagging up today. The first is pure semois (Martin variety) that has been shreaded and then pressed into a brick. The other one roughly follows the ratios for “Le petit robin” and is equal quantities of semois, Va bright, Va lemon.

I don’t have a pic yet, but so far the best way I have enjoyed homegrown semois is mixed 50:50 with some staghorn (dark air cured Virginia). I’m slightly tinkering around with the blend, but this has won a jar spot on the work desk.

6029C61C-48C5-4090-8A04-FE4AA6ED0004.jpeg9665356E-C551-4E0E-8874-3BA473AE4020.jpeg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Growing your own and curing it as rope may be the only way to get rope cut now that GH&Co has decided that supply and demand is frivolity, and no one else even pretends to make it.

Reactions: Ahi Ka