PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Nice stuff fellas!

Embarrassingly, I’m still trying to perfect my second blend, made from blending tobaccos and homemade toppings only - no existing blend(s) plus x or y.

Have been working at it off and on for over a year ?.

Determined to infuse bourbon (to my liking), I’m about ready to delve into into soaked staves.

Last edited:
Reactions: chopper

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Some kind soul finally showed me some of the documents released during the Big Tobacco Congressional hearings (when I was continually whining here about my lack of success with my 2nd blend - lol).

I was astonished at some of the stuff that went into the tobacco that wound up in the end-users’ laps. Valerian bread, St. John’s Wort (IIRC), lots of ‘flavoring X’, herbal antiemetics, lots of things — like, A LOT... Crazy!

That’s when the obvious finally hit me — they have food chemists, etc. working in their labs. Makes sense, right?

Stickmaker1958

Might Stick Around
Sep 29, 2019
Shasta Lake, Ca.
Some kind soul finally showed me some of the documents released during the Big Tobacco Congressional hearings (when I was continually whining here about my lack of success with my 2nd blend - lol).

I was astonished at some of the stuff that went into the tobacco that wound up in the end-users’ laps. Valerian bread, St. John’s Wort (IIRC), lots of ‘flavoring X’, herbal antiemetics, lots of things — like, A LOT... Crazy!

That’s when the obvious finally hit me — they have food chemists, etc. Erebus working in their labs. Makes sense, right?
There is a video on you tube that shows jeremy reeves head blender at corrnell and diehl cooking a topping on a stove, tells what is going in but nothing specific as weight of ingredient..

Stickmaker1958

Might Stick Around
Sep 29, 2019
Shasta Lake, Ca.
Nice stuff fellas!

Embarrassingly, I’m still trying to perfect my second blend, made from blending tobaccos and homemade toppings only - no existing blend(s) plus x or y.

Have been working at it off and on for over a year ?.

Determined to infuse bourbon (to my liking), I’m about ready to delve into into soaked staves.
how did you do it, if I can ask or I can tell you the way I did it

Reactions: diamondback

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
how did you do it, if I can ask or I can tell you the way I did it

I tried soaking an ounce of my blend in Wild Turkey directly (I have a medical intolerance to alcohol and can’t drink it, but I love tobaccos like Haddo’s, Black Frigate and Bourbon Bleu). That was a disaster. Terrible.

Then I spread a couple ounces out in a Tupperware container and placed a shot-glass of WT to let it ‘infuse’ (put the lid back on) but it was too light on the bourbon flavor I was looking for.

The mix I have is basically like Bourbon Bleu: DFK, VA and perique except I’m upping the DFK.

Totally open to ideas!!!

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
These are my most successful pressed blends (in the noodle press)

#20 Navy Cake
25g Sutliff Red Virginia Ribbon
25g Hearth & Home Marble Kake
10g McClelland Stoved Va
6g Stokkebye 702 Burley
6g McClelland blending Perique
10 Treasure Island (rum aro from the Country Squire

#22 Chocolate Cake
5g Stokkebye 702 Burley
2 Sutliff Red Virginia Ribbon
1 Lane Burley w/o Bite
2 C&D Dark Chocolate
1 McClelland Vanilla Black Cav

ProfMT

Lurker
Jun 18, 2020
I’m thinking about getting a noodle press and creating my own “pucks.” For those of you that have them, how many ounces do you put in it at a time? Also, how long do you press it for? Thanks!

Reactions: Scottmi

dquisenberry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2016
dallas tx
If it’s something new or something I want in a puck then 50 grams. Something that I’m repeating or want more of a crumble cake, 100 grams. 7 days for either.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I think home blending should be discussed in the Tobacco Discussion Room. I don't see a need for a new room. I personally leave the blending to the pro's. I would never smoke something I put together. Sure I could mix blends already made but I don't have a reason to take a perfectly good blend and weaken it or strengthen it or do anything to it.

Yup I am not adventurous when it comes to my blends. The thought of buying component tobaccos that I know are not as good as what is put in my favorite blends holds no interest for me. I know I cannot buy the quality Virginia that goes into Capstan Blue Flake. I know that doing what they do to the leaf is something I could never duplicate.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Ok guys. This thread has been moved to the new Home Blending sub-forum of Pipe Tobacco Discussion.

Great. Thanks Kevin!

I know I cannot buy the quality Virginia that goes into Capstan Blue Flake. I know that doing what they do to the leaf is something I could never duplicate.

Of course Harris. But you can do better ;)

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
First “recipe mix” I tried (which I don’t smoke any of now, I’m too cool for it?) Oldest trick in the book for aro lovers. 1/2 Lane 1Q and 1/2 Lane BCA. Mix well press and leave for a week or two.

I would like to see some other recipes for “mixes” in deference to MSO’s differentiation between blends and mixes. Blends being things you make from constituent raw tobaccos and mixes as already made blends you would normally have, but mixed together in your own way.