PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
To be clear, I didn't but the smooth one, but I only posted as it was a rare piece. The briar was too dinged up at that price.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I believe a couple of folks noticed that Ken Barnes has recently posted in a James Upshall thread. Since he worked for Charatan, I wondered if he know anything about this shape, so I messaged him. (thrilling in itself to message Ken Barnes). He replied and had this to say about the pipe:
At the Charatan factory, the three hand-turners were Dan Tennison, Stan Haney and Barry Jones. The Countryman was an extra large rather bulbous bent with a smooth straight-grain top part of the bowl, a ring-bead and a sandblasted lower part of the bowl. the shank was nice and thick-round with a saddle mouthpiece. These were always hand-turned and not a 'series catalogue shape'. They were not common and made every so often (in the late 1960s- late 1970s)as and when the plateau dictated it. These were really rare handmades. I have now only just noticed that you put a link in for me of the pipe! Nice piece!!!!! Selected!!!! probably made by Dan Tennison.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
How about this one :
http://www.ebay.de/itm/401192367271?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Very rare double De Luxe Selected stamp, so probably transition De Luxe-Selected. Carved by Dan Tennison ?
Ken, we need your help :)

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Interestign. That one is sold by James Upshall Co.
This one was also sold today, a Milton Deluxe. I forget, but Milton may have been a carver for Charatan?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/401194185255?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Dec 10, 2013
I do not have a clue, not to my knowledge. Maybe an authority the likes of Ken will chime in and help us from going astray :)

Nicely carved pipe anyway, good shape and decent blast, imho great execution of the mouthpiece - stummel junction.

Like the staining too. So has the good looks to be a pipe carved by someone skilled and talented .

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
I think that the 'Selected deluxe' was indeed made by Dan Tennyson in the 1950s. I am not sure when Reuben introduced the Tan sandblast, I am sure that orlandofurioso knows. Barry told me the other day that Dan had been working with Reuben since the 1930s.

I saw this 'Milton' on ebay and was confused about where it came from. This Countryman shape needs to be specifically cut on the saw before it is turned. As very few people cut plateau on a circular saw,

I am wondering whether Dan was briefly employed by Milville after the take-over (1979-1980) and made this pipe for them?

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
Or it was one of the old Charatan bowls that Millville may have had when the factory closed. Remember that the Countryman only came in a selected quality (straight grain 'round the top of the bowl). This one may have fallen short of this quality.

Dec 10, 2013
Now that you mention it Ken : I own a few tan stained sandblasted Reuben era ones, but I do not have a clue when the tan staining was introduced :
To me it came as a surprice, since most Charatan's, like for instance the Specials were supposed to be unstained pipes.
The Milton is an enigma ; As you stated; this shape needs to be cut on the saw before turning and how many people have the guts and the skill to perform the act ?
On the Milton stummel it says that it is carved from real briar, which possibly suggests an American carving ? There was an American tobacconist named Milton, but this pipe has so good looks that I would not in the least bit be surprised if it was carved by a former Charatan hero like mr. Tennyson.

Significant: are you now telling us the Milton is a Millville carved pipe and for what reason ??

I love this thread :)

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
I am wondering whether Dan Tenyson was briefly employed by Milville after the Dunhill acquisition of Charatan (1979-1980) and made this pipe for them?
Or it was one of the old Charatan bowls that Millville may have had when the factory closed. Remember that the Countryman only came in a selected quality (straight grain 'round the top of the bowl). This one may have fallen short of this quality.

That is what I was saying!

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
or perhaps Milton (Milltown) was the name before they introduced the trading name of Millville (Mill Ville/Town)?

The 'carved from real briar' is a little bewildering though,some cheaper Italian pipes used to say 'real briar'. that is certainly not an English type description to find on a shank.For me, the shape screams Charatan. It may of course been made by Barry in the last fifteen years for Moty?

Dec 10, 2013
Thank you for all this Ken !
His widow Karen and I are on very good terms, I meanwhile purchased a few pipes from Moty's estate.

To be quite honest, I was the lucky winner of this one. It was a push over, I was the only participant in the auction.

I will ask her, see if she has any recollection of how her husband acquired the pipe.

Not likely, he had thousands.

I picked up an old thread about Millville pipes and will continue the search for the genuine truth .

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
What an awesome pipe! I almost always have a big old Stetson on, I kinda want a pipe that's wearing a hat too.
Ok, not just kinda. I'm going to go and try to find one of these for me...

Dec 10, 2013
Good morning campers,
Thank you mr. Haines Best of luck, but I will snatch them all. No, just kidding.

Welcome to the Countryman club.

Apologize, my English is poor; did not catch much sleep last night.

I am in the refurbishing proccess now and this pipe now really starts to be a ravishing beauty.

What strikes me is that it weighs "only" 64 grs. It is not at all bulky, but actually very elegant.

The tenon is not a stepped one and now this little voice starts to whisper in my ear ( that is why I could not sleep )that it could, or could not, be a Colin Leeson from Invicta Briars.
I own a handful Invicta pipes and this one feels so much the same, regarding the finishing, the feel of the ebonite, the tenon. Hmm ?

Now posted mail to Pete Ellham :)
Who's with me ?

Dec 10, 2013
Hi Al,
It is the Milton pipe
I still do not have a clue how to post pics. on the forum page. My laptop is ancient .

Now sent mail and pictures of the pipe to Pete Ellam from Invicta Briars, waiting for his reply.

cheers,

Roland

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
The Milton. :wink: Just catching up with this thread, very interesting!
qmilton1w13-600x265.jpg

qmilton2w13-600x324.jpg

qmilton3w13-497x600.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.