PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jakesmokes

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2015
Michigan
XL339'sfall into the seldom seen category ! Nice Find !! original shape 4 then modern shape 309.

Definitely surprised to find it there! Pretty small shop but it’s all we have around here. Now to just fine one with a p-lip.

jakesmokes

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2015
Michigan
That 2s is gorgeous! What do you think the flaw on it is?
Thanks! The flaw is the well the pipe really doesn’t have one. It’s drilled deep with only a large drill bit and the draft hole is only few mm above it. It’s enough though that pipe smokes very dry and I’m surprised if I get a drop of condensation in the well. Usually it just gets a little ring of moisture right after where the tenon ends.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Definitely surprised to find it there! Pretty small shop but it’s all we have around here. Now to just fine one with a p-lip.
The Xl339S (saddle stem) like mine is super rare ... they made only a limited number. There is another PPN thread on that pipe. Does your 339 have a looser stem ? Mine does to facilitate dumping the moisture during smoking. I have to dump the condensation 2-3 times while smoking a full bowl. My other system pipes (XXL Hand Made and 302 with orific bits) are usually very dry. Can't beat them for the price !

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Thanks! The flaw is the well the pipe really doesn’t have one. It’s drilled deep with only a large drill bit and the draft hole is only few mm above it. It’s enough though that pipe smokes very dry and I’m surprised if I get a drop of condensation in the well. Usually it just gets a little ring of moisture right after where the tenon ends.
Then that’s an absolute steal for ~€100!

jakesmokes

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2015
Michigan
The Xl339S (saddle stem) like mine is super rare ... they made only a limited number. There is another PPN thread on that pipe. Does your 339 have a looser stem ? Mine does to facilitate dumping the moisture during smoking. I have to dump the condensation 2-3 times while smoking a full bowl. My other system pipes (XXL Hand Made and 302 with orific bits) are usually very dry. Can't beat them for the price !
My stem is definitely looser but I’m not sure if that’s because it’s sat unsmoked for who knows how long maybe 20-40 years. Or if it’s to help facilitate dumping the moister like you said. I guess we’ll see how much it tightens up after a few dozen bowls. The first bowl I smoked last night stayed pretty dry moist but not enough to make a droplet. My XL220 has a tight but loose stem now that you mention dumping the moister mid bowl it makes sense. Can’t be to tight sense there isn’t an army mount. Hopefully some day Peterson will bring the Xl399/309 back for good.

jakesmokes

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2015
Michigan
most likely this ! I believe the originals had military mount stems ... or some of them. That shape is also called a bent Dutch. If you have questions on Peterson use the search bar on this forum or check the Peterson pipe notes site. ... interesting learnin' there !
Yeah Peterson pipe notes is great I’ve just about read every post. It’s incredible the amount of information that is out there about Peterson a very deep rabbit hole

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Irish Seconds Smooth Bent Billiard with Silver Army Mount P-Lip aka a Peterson oak pub pipe with a defect. The defect isn't that it stands; that's clearly intentional. It's that there's a blockage in the draft hole that makes drawing on the empty bowl feel like you're trying to drink freshly mixed concrete out of a kids straw.

View attachment 221213
Just wanted to give an update that I sent this pipe to Laudisi's repair department and they fixed it up and it now smokes great.

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
I really like that Charatan Ben Wade. It looks like it would smoke fairly cool. Nice finds.
Thanks. It does smoke cool. I dedicate it to VA flake and VA perique. It’s my oldest new pipe purchase; although I have a few older estate pipes. I bought it in the ‘70’s and paid about $10. I keep it for old time sake but it’s also a nice smoke and part of my regular rotation. .