PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Title edited: no all caps! And I have no truck with however a person views his pipes. Nice illustrations!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder:
1671759542018.png
Venus de Milo

Someone once asked: ‘If they don’t have a name [brand] on them what good are they ?

Well, that’s easy to answer … in most cases they are perfectly good for what a pipe is designed to do: smoke tobacco. And they can do that as well as the most expensive top of the line pipe. And in my opinion with all of the money saved they are perfectly good at smoking: BULK tobacco … you know … tobacco that may not have made the standard of Name Brand tobacco and sells for much less ?!!!

Peterson seconds – Peterson Pipe Notes - https://petersonpipenotes.org/tag/peterson-seconds/

Reworking a Peterson’s Irish Seconds Canadian - https://rebornpipes.com/2014/02/02/reworking-a-petersons-irish-seconds-canadian/

SHOW US YOUR SECONDS so we can all enjoy them.

My Seconds are below: (All are stamped Made in Republic of Ireland).
IMG_3035.JPG
1980s Erica System Reject House Pipe - (22mmx52+mm chamber) bought new with 302 below in early eighties = almost 40 years old. (Flaws: fill inside bowl at rim and crack on rim; left side of shank has been scored flat and finished)

IMG_3030.JPG
IMG_3031.JPG

IMG_3032.JPG

1980s Erica System Reject 302 bent apple (17mmx35mm chamber) (Flaws: Fill line on right side of shank is viewable but hasn't gotten worse of cracked in close to 40 years!)
IMG_3026.JPG
IMG_3029.JPG

1990s Irish Second XL339S (rare with saddle stem)(19mmx38mm chamber) If it was rare as a full production pipe, is it rarer as a Second ? (Flaw - the only thing I have found so far is a tiny pliar mark on the right side.) This pipe was purchased new by my brother in the 90's as a basket pipe. I recently traded a Savinelli Erica Fiamma 128 straight Billiard for it and am happy with the trade. This pipe has been cleaned to remove 30 yrs of Balkan Sobrani ghosts and the rim char was sanded off to get to original finish. It has very open draw - more than a cob, and is the only one to produce a lot of condensation which must be flicked out at least twice while smoking ! The stem is slightly loose for easy removal to do that. The other two do not produce anywhere near the amount of condensation. I do not clench but this would be the pipe to clench is one chose to clench.
IMG_3022.JPG
IMG_3023.JPG
IMG_3024.JPG

IMG_3037.JPG
This is a Bombay Company Valet which i have repurposed to a three tray drying tray and pipe stand ... a $3.00 Goodwill find!
IMG_3036.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I have concluded that the "They're just tobacco access devices!" crowd and the "They are valuable art objects!" crowd will never understand each other.

Makes for endless forum-y entertainful back-and-forth, though. Like fans at pro football games (but without the occasional puching and throwing each other down stadium steps).

puffy

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I have concluded that the "They're just tobacco access devices!" crowd and the "They are valuable art objects!" crowd will never understand each other.

Makes for endless forum-y entertainful back-and-forth, though. Like fans at pro football games (but without the occasional puching and throwing each other down stadium steps).

puffy
Probably but its hard to say my seconds aren't beautiful in their own right.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Pipes are tools first and foremost. What floats your boat and allows for a satisfactory smoking experience is all that matters with regard to smoking. All the other reasons for buying a pipe depend on personal tastes. Some collect only certain eras, brands or shapes. Cobs turn some on, ancient Dunhills are sought by others. It's all so subjective. And that's what makes it a very personal experience.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I have more than a few seconds

I recently showed off a Comoy "reject" on a different thread as well as a WAYS thread.
Lovely straight grain. Only reason I could see for its "demotion" is a tiny fill ?sand pit

I have a few Stanwell seconds too. Indifferent grain, but otherwise well-drilled and well-made.

All of mine smoke no differently than the "firsts"

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
My dear old dead pilot, inventor, manufacturer, machinist and raconteur buddy Jack once upon a time, after he traded an eight million dollar marina to his first wife so he could marry a dock girl, found himself in Little Rock Arkansas with a wife half his age and a baby to support.

Jack happened on a boat factory, advertising for a superintendent.

Jack made a deal where he’d manage the boat factory for six months, and he was hired.

The boats were aluminum fishing types, and all stacked up in front of the factory.

The first order Jack gave was for a minion to double the prices on all the boats.

Then the second order, was to put out big signs along the highway:

FACTORY SECOND BOATS

HALF PRICE

Jack sold out of boats in a couple of weeks.

Jack got the idea from a friend at the Lake of the Ozarks that got wealthy selling all of his walnut bowl production as half price seconds.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I have more than a few seconds

I recently showed off a Comoy "reject" on a different thread as well as a WAYS thread.
Lovely straight grain. Only reason I could see for its "demotion" is a tiny fill ?sand pit

I have a few Stanwell seconds too. Indifferent grain, but otherwise well-drilled and well-made.

All of mine smoke no differently than the "firsts"
Maybe you could post them here too !

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I own a bunch of seconds, most of which smoke as well as firsts, which I also have a lot of in my collection. I just feel lucky to have a nice collection.

Btw, here my Irish Second. I bought it in 1990 for twenty bucks. It was well worth the money.
View attachment 189186
If I had seen that first ... !!! That's a beautiful pipe by any standard ! My brother paid $15 and I paid about $20 each for the Erica's.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I define seconds fairly strictly. Rossi, though owned by Savinelli, are not seconds, just a brand owned by Sav. House pipes aren't seconds, they're sourced from known brands usually. And Nordings low end pipes aren't seconds, just lower-priced pipes. So the only legitimate seconds I have are from an era where Savinelli sold unfinished pipes as seconds, unstamped. In more recent years, I believe they sell these as "firsts," stamped with their name. But the seconds were sometimes basket pipes in my local independent pipe shop, and I think for a while this area was a Sav distribution hub, so there were quite a few around. They smoked like full-fledged Sav's, and over decades have colored in amazing ways, not just darkened and turned a golden walnut color, but developed a deep resonant polish, with no wax or polish ever. i have more recent versions in the process of coloring.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Some of my best pipes & most of my favourite smokers are all ’rejects’ or seconds. When the pipe making scene in London was in ‘full swing’ the bar was set ridiculously high & thankfully for us smokers they blessed us all with a huge number of seconds & reject lines.

Although those days are long gone, apart from looking for the older classics on eBay, Parker are still letting go some great rejects at bargain prices. Most ‘basket’ pipes in the UK along with lines like Barbers & GQ are all Parker ‘rejects’.

F&T Reject.
7B63F782-6D5B-48A9-96CC-9F13E78F60AB.jpegParker London Briar (reject).
53789BC5-612D-49B4-9983-8BC6BC91F06D.jpeg
GQ House Pipe (Parker).
767C99A0-2F33-476A-BA8C-2303B3F53F29.jpeg