PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
"Is foo foo aro or English?"
LOL! Coffee fanatics use the same foo foo terminology. There it's used mainly against those who would drink Lattes, Capuchinos & other whip cream drinks.

darthcider

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 24, 2014
Wales
Its a question that each individual must answer for themselves.

No definitive answer in my opinion.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
If I am 81 years old, have smoked for 80 years, own one pipe and smoke one tobacco, and have a terribly unpleasent disposition, but am not avoided by others, because the tobacco I smoke is Molto Dolce, do I still get to be a codger?
At 81 and smoking for 80 years I would consider that a miracle!

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
"Can we define what it means to be a "codger" now, please?"
Remembering the Eisenhower administration.

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
well I guess moving forward the codger will eventually become extinct, as those who can reflect on Ike's administration leave us
@warren...I have an answer for you , but I'm not sure you are going to like it.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
"What comes after "codger?""
Doddering old geezer but I think you have to remember Roosevelt for that one.

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
My 100YO MIL remembers Woodrow Wilson and Warren Harding. I think that makes her an animated fossil...
at 100 I'd be ecstatic to remember anything much less Warren Harding.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Hmmm. Yeah 'ya gotta be 10-15 years north of a century to remember the wielder of the Big Stick. The appellation for that could be Bell Curve Refugee.

Mar 1, 2014
I am eagerly awaiting the day someone calls me an old codger, right now I'm just at the level of "Sir".

I think it was two or three years ago that someone first called me that, it was a bit of a shock. But no more surprises, I'm preparing myself 30 years in advance for the day I hit "Old Codger".

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
that is rough. My 91 yo grandmother is the same way.... "if you kids had a lick of sense". "derned fools, can't do anything right"

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
To me pipes and cigars are both hobbies. I enjoy collecting different pipes and different tobaccos. I enjoy talking about them and even posting videos on YT about them. I don't have to smoke everyday and often times go several days in between smokes. Collecting different pipes and tobaccos brings me joy even if I'm not smoking that day or week. Same goes for my cigars. I enjoy collecting different cigars for my humidor.
Now if I smoked everyday it could still be a hobby, but if I was an everyday smoker then I would say it was a part of life and not a hobby. To me a hobby is something you do in your spare time as an activity that brings you relaxation and enjoyment. Which is what pipes and cigars does for me.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
"I must have done something horrible in the vast karmic scheme of things. There is this gnawing paranoia that she is going to outlive me--and plots daily on how to most effectively make that come to pass."
LOL! "We have met the enemy... and he is us". My situation is similar and making matters worse, my wife is an only child. My MIL likes to threaten me with my wife's inheritance. Since I handle all her finances I have yet to figure out just where that's going to come from! The woman is delusional.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
For me it's a hobby/lifestyle. I tend to have about three pipes a day and I also spend a good amount of time haunting Twitter and Instagram to hook up with other pipers about new carvers or blenders etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.