PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
I saw some comments in another thread, about whether or not pipe smoking is a hobby or not. This is a confusing dialogue to me. It is what it is.
Here is my question. If I want to have a nice $60 bottle of Penfolds Cab from my cellar for dinner one night, but then go out an get rowdy with the boys on whiskey and beer the next... am I an alcoholic or an alcohobby-ist?
As I look at that word now...I should trademark that..

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'd say if you smoke three or more distinct blends and are open to more, and if you have at least 3 pipes, it's a hobby.

If you smoke the same things all the time....it's a pastime, and a good one.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
For me its a pleasure. If others make it a hobby, then fair play I say.

What does it matter how many bowls I smoke verses what I want to call it? It's a hobby in my opinion. Is someone going to correct me on my opinion? If someone wants to call it a "devotion" or "calling" or "addiction" or "obsession" or "profession," what does it matter? Call it what you want for yourself. I think I'm going to start calling it Al, ha ha. :puffy:

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
If we are being "technical" pipe smoking is not a hobby. The collecting of pipes would be the hobby part. If you like to try different tobaccos especially those that are hard to find or rare you would be considered a connoisseur. The answer to your question about alcohol would be that you like to get drunk but you are a connoisseur of fine wine.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
So, by the definition posted by Sparks, beating-off can be considered a hobby. :lol:
Hahahahahahaha, that one got an out loud chuckle over here, Cortez. Well played, Sir.

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
$_57.JPG

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
+1 cosmic he understood what I was getting at. It is what it is for you. Stick it in your cap and call it macaroni...

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Yes...... No..... Maybe..... Who knows?
lol! +1
I think if a person collects fine wines, researches them, discusses them, creates cellars for them - then I'd say it is a hobby. Same goes for pipe smoking.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
I love to go to my favorite bar and enjoy my hobby of sampling & discussing various adult libations & microbrews with my friends in the field. I hate to be interrupted by someone who wants to talk about some habit I have.
It's all in your perception of things.

May 31, 2012
Great summary Patrick.
I've had a similar experience and I agree with how you've framed it.
I prefer to refer to myself as an enthusiast instead of a hobbyist, I hardly ever use the word "hobby" to describe my kapnismological pursuits.
I am deeply enthralled with kapnismania.

:puffy:
The term "kapnismology" evolved from the Greek word Kapnidzo, meaning 'I smoke".
It was the work of Dr. Dale Heath, Greek Professor at Taylor University, Upland, Indiana.
His academic breakdown of the term is as follows:
καπνίζω - Kapnidzo - I smoke

κάπνισμα - Kapnisma - the act of smoking
Kapnismology - the science or study of smoking
Kapnismologist - one who studies, or who makes an art of the act of smoking
This terminology was sought by Bruce Spencer in his original plans for establishing an organization for people who collected smoking pipes. This was in 1981 and was part of two years of research conducted by C. Bruce Spencer & Associates, an advertising and marketing firm that, at that time, was working with the National Knife Collectors Association, as one of its clients.
In keeping with his efforts to develop an official name for pipe collectors, Mr. Spencer saw an article in the Franklin Mint Almanac regarding official names for the various collectible activities. It read, "As nearly everyone knows, a Numismatist collects coins and a Philatelist's hobby is stamps. But how many collectors can name the particular fascination of a Vexillogist, or what obsesses an Exonumist? What about a Cochlerist or Avecturist, not to mention a habitual practitioner of Deltiology?

Lurking behind these names are quite respectable citizens whose interests are, respectively: flags, tokens and medals, spoons, transportation tokens and postcards."
Kapnisanatarium = pipesmagazine.com

:puffy:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Pipes are a nicotine delivery system for me, as I have observed before. I own enough pipes to cover my smoking needs. I do not try to smoke my through every blend available. I have three blends that I enjoy and may try another now and then based on something said or read.
I resent being labeled by others. While I do label others, I keep this to myself and do not share my somewhat biased opinions. If a person tells me he/she is a pipe hobbyist, I accept that. But, I would never affix that label to another.
I would define a hobbyist smoker as one who smokes but has no driving need to. To collect pipes is a hobby in most cases. But, if collecting pipes has become an uncontrolled obsession, it is no longer a hobby . . . it is a mental condition commonly referred to as PAD. Only you know who you are.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I figure anything that I can discuss until people's eyes glaze over counts as a "hobby"... :D

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
To me collecting different pipes, or even one certain brand of pipe, I consider a hobby. Researching pipes and tobaccos and their history, and collecting artifacts about them would seem to me a hobby. Even buying and trying a lot of different tobaccos, I would consider a hobby to some degree.
But the idea of just smoking a pipe, seems to me more of a lifestyle choice.
So if I never bought another pipe, and just chose say, a dozen different tobaccos, and only smoked them, I would then consider my pipe smoking to be a part of my lifestyle, and not a hobby.
But I CAN'T STOP buying pipes and different tobaccos, reading information about them, and participating on this site, so I guess I'm addicted hobbyist!

Status
Not open for further replies.