PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Parenting, painting, drawing, gardening, reading, knitting, pets, and RC helicopters
Duane you know as well as I do that's a full time job not a hobby :wink:
As for me, its hard for me to get the baking out of my veins. I'd love to do some more outdoor things this summer with the family too, like hiking and maybe even some camping.
Al, are those late model Mini rims? It sets the car off nicely.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When I was in high school, I had a short wave radio, movie and still cameras (single lens reflex twin lens reflex and smaller range finder), did some sketching, and published some poems and stories, and was a political news junkie. My dad said he thought I should narrow my focus to an interest or two, but in one way or another, I used all of my interests and others to earn a living at some point in my career. So hobbies sometimes earn their keep. Just to notice that point. Something that was not a particular hobby was introduced to me through biology courses in high school and college, including one on vertebrate physiology that had a lot of pre-med people enrolled, though I was by no means headed to medical school. My longest career tenure was in an institute that did biomedical research, so there you go. The suspected and unsuspected turns in life.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I enjoy copious reading, fly tying, fly fishing and Legos.

Legos...me too. Along with hiking, camping and bicycling (road). I like to build WWII vehicles. These are Battle of the Bulge vehicles all made with authentic/real Legos.

20190123_223636-edited-600x467.jpg

greatdane

Might Stick Around
Dec 26, 2018
Flyfishing in the summer, cross-country skiing in the winter; reading, shooting, retro gaming on my C64 or enjoying my w108 Benz.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Gardening, bass fishing(fly&conventional) fly fishing small stream(California side of the Sierras) parenting takes up most of my time. Kids are in 4-H so chickens, turkeys and rabbits are in the mix. I use to be into traditional archery quite a bit befor kids. Use to fish more before kids also.

mechanic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2018
I think i have all the parts ordered so far for the batman build. I have played chess in the past. Fly fishing have never done.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I like to read, hunt and cook. I also swim on a regular basis, but I guess that started out of need (lower back problems) and turned into a hobby.

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
I like to strutting around in my home while singing, naked. Oh sorry, in my undies. :nana:
Except that, I like to read fantasy themed books, doing simple Do-It-Yourself Projects, and sightseeing. :)

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Outdoor stuff, although much of it overlaps with my work as wildlife biologist. In my younger days I'd head off on long backpacking trips of a month or so duration. However, much of my work has been in very remote locations that necessitates backpacking/bushplanes and etc. I'm a birdwatcher, although I also do research on birds and other animals. Wildlife photography but that is sort of cheating because I most often photograph my study animals. I'm thinking of taking back up flyfishing now that I have two sons. For many years from a young age I was an avid fisherman but fell out of it.

At this point with two very young sons (right now is nap time) most of hobbies are on hiatus. I'm also temporarily expatriated to Europe from America.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I like to make things. I enjoy buying a nice wood and bringing it home to destroy only to use the destroyed pieces to build something new. I love woodworking and working with hand tools. Hopefully, when I get my new house and have more workshop space, I will build my own woodworking table. I really enjoy finding a beautiful example of something cool then reverse engineering it to figure out how to make it.
It got so hot here in the summer that I also taught myself how to knit. I love being in the garage and working with wood, but when gets so hot that your shoes burn your feet when in the sun, it's time to move indoors, but I needed something to do, so I learned to knit. So far I have knitted 2 hats, 2 scarves, a set of wrist warmers, a cowl and I'm working on my cable stitching for another hat that I'm about halfway through with.
I would absolutely love to learn how to fly fish, but it also looks like it could be a rather expensive hobby.

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
I love cooking and enjoy foraging for food.
My main hobby is fishing in fact I go so far as to say it's an obsession rather than a hobby. I particularly enjoy river fishing and fish for every species using as many different styles and techniques of fishing possible. I also enjoy modifying, restoring and making my own fishing tackle from rods to lures and flies.

Yeh, what others see as hobbies, I have become dependent on... Metalworking, lapidary, gardening, hunting, fishing, farming... but I also work as a high school debate team coach, which is sort of hobbyish. I also canoe and ride and restore vintage bikes, mt bikes, road bikes, and I enjoy riding Rails to Trails when I can get away for a few days. I play the ukulele, banjo, guitar, and I paint from time to time. I also write for my wife's hobby as a stand up comedian. It's something that we both enjoy. I enjoy coaching her public speaking, and she enjoys the attention. But, it is just for fun.
And, I am probably skipping a bunch of stuff. We stay busy.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
For me it's mineral collecting and micromounting said minerals which of course requires a decent microscope. I use a Meiji and a Leica/Wild.
I also collect pocket watches, particularly American Railroad Grade watches of which I have many with several sat on my desk in front of me on mini stands ticking away.
It's amazing that these mini mechanical marvels are able to keep almost quartz accuracy despite most being over 100 years old!
I also read a lot of non fiction.
Regards,
Jay.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
ssjones, you've always got a great ride going. Classic car. My brother owned one just like it, and after bugging him a good bit, he let me drive it, whereupon I picked up a friend and tried to crash it. I was 19, what can I say?
Most of my time I avocate rather than do hobbies, AA, poetry, meditation, reading.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Lots of fly fishermen among the pipe smoking crowd, it seems. Pipe smoking, like fly fishing, is a bit of an art and has a steeper learning curve than other forms of the activity (spinner rods, cigars etc). Both provide a relaxing and potentially contemplative experience. I can see the reason for the overlap.

Status
Not open for further replies.