PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
alexnc:
I have a Hilson Splendid Dublin which I purchased new, and it is an outstanding smoker. For some reason the Belgians seem to be largely overlooked as good pipe-makers. Having said that, I do not believe that you may go wrong with a well-cared-for Hilson estate pipe.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Have 1 Hilson I bought from a B&M decades ago, a large black blasted straight Dublin called the Houston. Quite fond of it and it smokes fine.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Gubbels, makers of Big Ben pipes, bought out Hilson in the '80s. Hilson pipes, both pre and post buyout, are really great pipes for the price.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It does have a "best offer" option, at $55, try an offer of $40 just to see what happens.

dkaye201

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
I own a Hilson Ranier Barbi that I bought new. An excellent pipe. PULL THE TRIGGER!

srkays

Lurker
Oct 29, 2018
When I was stationed in Germany in the early 1980's and smoking pipes, I picked up a Hilson Solent #305 bent pipe. Stem made for a filter and just ordered a box of 40 9mm filters. I just now started smoking my pipes again (Butz Choquin, W.O. Larson, Ascorti Business, Hilson, and a couple of 'no names), and cleaned/de-ghost all of the pipes using Everclear alcohol. Anything you can tell me about the Hilson pipe would be greatly appreciated. I ordered some Lane 1Q, Kramer's Father Dempsey, and some Russ's Pirate's Cove tobacco. Haven't tried the Pirate's Cove yet...think maybe it will be too 'sweet/wet'. Father Dempsey smokes great as does Lane 1Q. Will be ordering some Lane RLP-6 and Lane LEO next.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Big Ben's are Dutch and apparently now own Hilson, which used to be Belgium. I have a Big Ben pipe that's good, and I think the Dutch are precise, careful crafts people. I would expect good things. The Dutch sometimes talk about Belgiums as being bunglers, but I think that is the usual European rivalry, with probably some historical back story. I pay attention to foggymountain not liking some of his Hilsons; he's very discerning. (Admittedly, once when stuck in the Brussels airport, we did not get good English language announcements on times and gates, but we made it all the same, which resulted later in a Dutch person saying this was typical Belgium behavior.)

Status
Not open for further replies.