PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2012
Does anyone know anything about Hilson, Dutch pipes? If you have one a few comments would be appreciated.

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
I Have a Hilson calabash, cant say how it smokes(its still unsmoked) but it looks very well built.

img_20120307_123636-600x448.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
rothnh, you are an encyclopedia of information; I've always been curious about Hilson,

and am tempted by the ones still for sale. My brother-in-law is Dutch, so I'd like to

own a pipe from the part of the world, like a Big Ben or a Hilson, but I haven't found

the pipe at the price I like. Those Hilson briars, if authentic, must be perfectly aged

by how and weigh like feathers.

Aug 14, 2012
MSO489: You bring up something interesting. When a pipe is waxed, does that impede the aging process? As I perceive it, aging is beneficial because the briar dries out more completely. Then wouldn't waxing it prevent complete drying out? Of course you would think that 10-20 years aging would be enough, but the more aged briar does smoke better. Anyhow I was looking at a recently made Hilson at alpascia.com. They have quite a few beauties at a low price.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Foggymountain, thank you much, I'll check out the Hilsons on alpascia.com.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Guy down the road has a Hilson, made in Belgium pipe and a tobacco/2 pipe pouch for sale for $20.00. I didn't pick it up last fall but I am thinking of going this weekend and grabbing it. Thing that is holding me back is that it is of such a small size.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
FoggyMountain: Sorry for not catching this earlier. I've been on and off the forum lately. Family and work stuff :-(
Anyways, what do you want to know about Hilson ? They are solid pipes, usually well made and decent smokers. I have a dozen or so by now and they all are in regular rotation. I wouldn't necessarily put them at the top of my list, but they are not bad at all.
They seem to pop up on this forum on occasion.

On this thread most recently.
Two older threads I have started:

Pre-1980 Hilson

Hilson and Big Ben pipes were actually made in the same factory after 1980.
If you message me your email address, I can send you the article I've got in draft for Pipedia. I'm heading back to Belgium in the fall and am going to try to locate the old pipe factory, see if I can get access and take pictures. I'm also planning to visit someone over there who claims to have old pictures from the hey-day of the factory over there. It's a slow work in progress to write up the history of this brand.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Hilson company (Hillen Brothers) made pipes in Belguim. Hilson pipes were quite popular in Europe, hitting their stride in the 1960's and 70's and had a reputation for well made, quality pipes at a reasonable price.
Hilson ran into financial troubles in the late 70's and closed in 1980. The company was sold to Elbert Gubbels & Zonen, the Royal Dutch Pipe Company; Hilson pipes continued to sell well for a short while, particularly in Germany. Production was moved from Belgium to the Netherlands.
For a while, B&Ms like "The Briary" and others were selling some "Old original" Hilson pipes made in the 60's and 70's, but most of those are gone or on the estate market. P&C has a number of them for sale thanks to some enterprising Texas businessman who stumbled upon a "treasure trove" of 60's-70's Hilsons recently:
http://pipesandcigars.com/hilsonpipes.html
Here's a link for the "current" Hilson pipes:
http://www.hilson.nl/hilson/hilson-history
Awesome post Rothnh - great info, thanks for posting it.

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
Have you any more info on A.M. Sanoul, rothn? He really seems a man of mystery...

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
I live right next door from Belgium but his name doesn't seem to ring a bell even here... How did you learn about him?

Aug 14, 2012
The Hilson just arrived. It is marked "vintage" on the side. I believe it was made from a piece of briar cut in the old Belgian factory. It is a beautiful piece of briar. The pipe is very comparable to the Dunhill I got recently, being a panel with six sides curved over a roughly apple shaped bowl. This is a beautiful pipe, over 6" long and unusually well finished. I am smoking it now and the first smoke is very good, always a sign of an excellent pipe. Will do some pictures this weekend. Will consider more Hilsons.

Aug 14, 2012
I have smoked the new Hilson 4 times in the 24 hours I have had it. That is unusual. It still smoked really well. I recommend getting one of the "Vintage" Hilsons while they are available. Remarkable pipes for the price, or for any price. Mine is comparable to a Dunhill Root Briar. Though no quite as perfect, it smokes at least as well. They say the carved bowls were aged 30 years and I believe it. The finish and ebonite stems are recently made in Holland. I have ordered a bunch more, and that is about it for my pipe collection, which has reached the point that not only are there enough great pipes, but I have room for no more. This Hilson is about the size of a 1 1/2 to #2 Dunhill, and the first full bowl lasted 42 minutes, filled to below the rim and not smoking the dottle. Will get pictures done Fri or Sat.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I have smoked the new Hilson 4 times in the 24 hours I have had it. That is unusual. It still smoked really well. I recommend getting one of the "Vintage" Hilsons while they are available. Remarkable pipes for the price, or for any price. Mine is comparable to a Dunhill Root Briar. Though no quite as perfect, it smokes at least as well. They say the carved bowls were aged 30 years and I believe it. The finish and ebonite stems are recently made in Holland. I have ordered a bunch more, and that is about it for my pipe collection, which has reached the point that not only are there enough great pipes, but I have room for no more. This Hilson is about the size of a 1 1/2 to #2 Dunhill, and the first full bowl lasted 42 minutes, filled to below the rim and not smoking the dottle. Will get pictures done Fri or Sat.
Thanks for the update foggy, good to hear, I will have to keep my eye on Hilsons...

Status
Not open for further replies.