PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
As some of you my recall, I am actually from Belgium. Reading up on some pipe history and materials last night, I came across an article on an old Belgian pipe maker called "Hilson", a contraction of the makers name (Hillen) and his son. The factory was originally located in the northern part of Belgium, but was acquired by Gubbels who also makes Big Ben pipes.
You can read more on the history here
Here's some questions

1) Does anyone by any chance have a Hilson in their collection ?

2) Is it pre or post-acquisition

3) If so, are they any good ?
I've found a couple of vintage, pre-acquisition ones out there, and I may eventually get me one. If nothing else than out of patriotic nostalgia ;-)
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
No idea on the date but I have this Hilson "Maestro" from my father. He purchased the thing new in the mid 60's from Iwan Ries. Mail order of course! (-;
hilson_maestro.jpg

I do have another older Hilson, also from my father, in the refurb box. A small billiard, it needs a lot of TLC!

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
OTD
That's a great looking pipe. Does it smoke well ? Feel free to post the TLC one as well. I'm getting more and more interested in this brand.
if he bought it in the 60's it would have been made in the original factory in Bree (North Belgium). Hilson was originally founded in 1846 and apparently made mostly clays. After WW1, the grand-son, called Jan Hillen, started making briar pipes that were turned in the Jura region in France and finished up in Bree. they were renowned for their quality and found an eager market in Europe and the US. In 1980 the factory was acquired by a Dutch company, moved and eventually closed down. All new Hilson pipes are being made in the Netherlands now in the same factory that makes Big Ben. However, there is now a young pipe maker trying to revive the art in Belgium.
From what I found the "Maestro" series were completely handmade in Bree by a carver named Sanoul. Still trying to figure out when exactly that period was, but at least it'll give you some background.
Hope this helps. Am I being patriotic enough ;-)

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Some on pipedia, some on the hilson website, some on the dutch pipe smokers forum. My native language is Flemish (form of Dutch), so it makes it a little easier to read up on the brand on some Belgian and Dutch sites.
Here's the pipedia link that mentions the Maestro line. I've seen a couple in Belgian smokers albums as well.
http://www.pipedia.org/index.php?title=Hilson
I've got my eyes on a couple out there, especially this one

$(KGrHqZ,!q!E8WZNZl90BPFws)SWZ!~~60_3.JPG

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Hmmm.. they seem to be out there on the estate marketplace.
Here's another nice one. Now I just need to find out more about them since they seem to be very reasonably priced. Probably because there's not much demand for them
h1hGszRF+SWLQJqgrkoGMQ==.jpg

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
The more research I'm doing on it, the more apparent it becomes it's hard to actually date them.
All that I've found thus far that those stamped "Made in Belgium" are most likely pre-1980. There were some ebauchons left over after the transfer and those are now being used and released as old briar pipes. Not sure yet whether they're stamped "Made in Belgium" or not. And then there's those that are stamped just "Hilson", which are in the transition era and could be made either place. It's actually a fascinating story. Of course, being from Belgium helps ;-)
I'll end up compiling it all and update the pipedia article when I get to it :puffpipe:

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
OK... talk about freaky..
Kevin.. apparently the forum is now available in .... DUTCH !!
I'm searching for hilson history and this popped up :rofl:

And yes, I can read it ... I was using a belgian google to find perhaps more info
6723606365_472a865ac9_z.jpg

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Hello Mick,
I do have a Hilson. I think I picked it up at a pipe show some years ago.

I think it smokes great. It's never given me any problems. I don't know what the bowl is finished with, but it has never lost it's luster. That worried me at first because pipes like that usually smoke hot, but this one has been the exception.

I would buy another Hilson if i ever saw one I liked.
Hilsonpipe004.jpg

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Thanks max. Gorgeous looking pipe you got there.
Does it have any markings ? I'm trying to get some info pulled together on this maker.

Status
Not open for further replies.