PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
One I accidentally left off the list (lets make it two). I saw that Troy mentioned it above when this thread was going around originally. McConnell's Latakia Flake and/or Revor Plug. Those two are essential in my opinion and taste very similar to me. I don't really get any Lat in Latakia Flake so the name can throw ya for a loop but it's got a good, stout dose of vitamin n and it's an absolute pleasure to smoke.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
In decreasing order:
Cotton Ball

Brown Rope

Dark Flake, Black rope

Irish Flake, Jackknife Plug, University Flake, WarHorse

Haddos

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Irish Flake does not strike me as all that strong; on par with Peterson's Perfect Plug (3P) which is also quite good.
For a solid medium-to-strong, the same blending house offers Irish Oak, which is a favorite.
I have smoked a fair amount of Cotton Boll Twist and it is about as strong as your average GH/SG rope. Those are pretty much the apex of nicotine overdrive, and most of them are delicious.
Royal Yacht is a shade past medium-to-strong. I smoke it mixed with Burley Flake #1, which is a wonderful high nicotine blend.
Many find heavy nicotine in Five Brothers!. Perhaps, although it seems more medium-to-strong to me. Great tobacco nonetheless.
From the SG/GH ropes, I find Brown No. 4 to be the best, truly an epic blend. I love Brown Twist Sliced/Happy Brown Bogie, but it might have too much smoke-cured leaf for the long term. Brown Irish and Black XX are also great.
Semois is another great one, but medium-to-strong, not brutally strong. Burns hot with some bite but a delicious and unique smoke. MSO489 is the expert here.
Dunhill Nightcap and its American cousin, Engine 99, both deserve some mention here for Perique-laden Englishes.
Everyone mentions Tambolaka, and it is quite good, but only as strong as a GH/SG rope, on par with Cotton Boll Twist.
Old Joe Krantz is of course the codger favorite that every OTC blend wishes it was.
1792 is great but blighted by the Lakeland Essence, try Lakeland Dark instead.
Old Dark Fired has an appeal as well, although it sort of tastes a bit over-smoked, like tourist BBQ, at times. Still I like it. A Philistine obviously.
I might speak up here for C&D Cube Cut Burley. A solid medium-to-strong, it takes on flavors very easily and is a great mixer.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Did anyone already mention Tambolaka? Last time I looked, 4noggins had re-stocked this air cured Indonesian burley. Treat it with respect. Sample it first in a small pipe or a partly packed pipe, to see how it goes, after a full meal and beverage. It certainly has the N kick. It may not be the strongest, but it's in the neighborhood. Like Five Brothers, it can serve as a condiment to step up the strength of milder blends when wanted. SG Brown Twist is another stem-winder, so take it slow, and see how it goes. Lately I've backed off into milder blends, and a few very mild, but still like my Semois, Billy Budd, and OJK. And others. Didn't have a bad experience with the full strength blends, but I have discovered layers of flavors in some of the all-day blends.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Just recently I had myself,both Mc Barens HH Bold Kentucky and Irish Flake by Peterson,and sure enough I love very much top quality Kentucky fired tobacco found in these two,but as before,couldn't hande the nicotine punch unless these weren't smoked in smallish bowl,so there we go again,(this was my second attempt with these)I gave them tins to a buddy of mine whos chain Ryo cigarette smoker,and seem be able to handle whatever tobacco.From there this repeated experience led me to understanding I might be better off leaving the G&Hoggarth Kendal Kentuckies and SG Lakeland Dark(feeling a growing interest to these)on the tobacconist shelf shelve.Finally and funny enough, I can smoke whatever Dry Semois whether its production of Manil or JP Couvert with no obvious ill effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.