PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
John Patton's cool hand fluke and C&D's Nightrain, both of these will make your head spin.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Old Dark Fired sneaks up on me sometimes. briar fox knocked me straight down.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I thought I had smoked some strong tobaccos in my smoking escapades, but I had no idea. I got some Jackknife plug the other day and a couple hours after big lunch I fired up a rather large bowl. By the time I was finished smoking it I was a little green. I felt like crap to be honest, it started well, the mellowing sensation and light buzz, but that quickly turned ugly. The tobacco itself is not to blame and has a great taste, but my large Tinsky panel is not the right pipe for this tobacco, I'm thinking my smallest billiard will fit the bill for the future. This stuff packs a punch.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
+1 on Royal Yacht.
I'm used to smoking cigars and pipes but I was not ready for this Duhill blend. Tastes great if you like Latakia (some vague plum flavoring, the tin says) but after 3/4 of a large bowl, man I really felt it.
Came as a complete surprise to me, even though I was warned. :)

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
Mentioned above, C&D Old Joe Krantz allowed me to kick a persistent cigarette habit cold, in ONE day. I still love English blends, especially Engine 99, but OJK is on my daily list permanently now. And, no, I never inhale it.

countryboy

Lurker
Oct 14, 2017
I know its an old post but im using my pipe to help stop dipping any luck with it. I enjoy the pipe and have to stop dipping just diagnose with barrette esophagus

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
I dipped a can a day for 15 years. Those commit lozenges helped because I could stick it in my check and gave the satisfaction of having something packed in my lip lol. Just a thought.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I know its an old post but im using my pipe to help stop dipping any luck with it. I enjoy the pipe and have to stop dipping just diagnose with barrette esophagus
I dipped Cope for 27 years and started smoking a pipe about 8 years ago. I'll tell you the blends that worked for me and finally helped get me off the damn dip...
Samuel Gawith - 1792 Flake (Lakeland Dark if you don't like Tonquin)

GH&Co. - Dark Flake (Scented or not both good choices)

GH&Co. - Brown Bogie (you can also get Brown Twist Sliced for convenience)

Gallaher - Condor (my all time favorite but you really have to love it to source it in the States as it can get pricey)

C&D - Old Joe Krantz

Ogden - St. Bruno (not as strong as the above but will surely satisfy, plus it's just GOOD)
These really kept me satisfied during the extremely tough go at getting off dip. Good luck to you, sir.
Note* The Brown Bogie also make a good chaw, you can just bite of a bit and put it between you cheek and gum. I don't consider it cheating, it's more like using Red Man or Levi Garret to help you wean off dipping but you can't smoke those so Brown Bogie wins hands down.

countryboy

Lurker
Oct 14, 2017
Thanks for the info. My doc actually told me a few bowls a day is better for my condition than dipping.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Jay, dip will usually be a very fine cut tobacco that comes in a can. It’s meant to really just sit in between the cheek and gum. Chaw usually comes in more of a long, whole leaf style cut that ya put a large portion in your cheek and often it is chewed, resulting in large amounts of spit (baseball players are known to chew), it’s also much sweeter and is flavored with brown sugars. Chew (or chaw) usually comes in a pouch or Plug form. Dipping is notoriously stronger than chaw and is therefore much more addicting. Producers have been found putting small particles of fiberglass mixed in with the fine cut tobacco to help the nicotine into the bloodstream and there are more than 500 different toxins in each can of dip. It’s some very addicting stuff and it’s scary what they’re putting into the stuff.

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
I would suggest - Samuel Gawith: Black XX

If this dont get you off the horse, then I dont know what ever will :)

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Budget friendly bulks that I think have the goods from the US are:

C&D Big 'n Burley - best prices from Smoking Pipes - blend lists other varietals w/burley but burley is the star

D&R Picayune - best pricing from P&C - this is a VaPer and it doesn't fool around. Great blend!

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Guys....
Thanks for naming names. Now I know what not to buy.
Don't like the getting a nic-buzz, the nic-headaches and queasy stomach.
Frank

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
I don't believe I saw anyone mention Peterson's Irish Flake. I have heard rumors about it packing a serious wallop. I am curious to know if those rumors are true, or, does no one smoke it? :)
Cheers,
Chili

Status
Not open for further replies.