PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 12, 2022
Sint-Truiden, Belgium
Hi all!

I am so happy to have found this forum. So much info here!

As I went - and still am going - through a very rough personal ordeal starting a few months ago, I had to pack and unpack boxes and came across a few pipes I had bought a few years ago. I dabbled around with them a bit as I loved cigars, but wanted to try something new, mainly because I got the pipe of my granddad when he died. He was never much of a pipe smoker - nervous, so he made a lot of smoke and turned his tongue into Ardennais ham every time - but just the sight and the smell of it brought back so many memories i decided to give it a go. It never worked out much for me: puffed to hard, chose the wrong tobaccos, did not know how to clean my pipes, etc. etc.

A few months ago I decided to try again, but this time I looked up some info; started reading about it and found this gentle YouTuber, Muttnchop Piper, who became my mentor (such a fantastic guy). I watched a few vids, deep cleaned my favourite pipe from yore and smoked a bowl of Borkum Riff Original, which gave me, to my surprise, loads of pleasure and calmed me down completely. Suddenly I understood why people can be so passionate about smoking a pipe. I have always been intrigued by the ritual, the aesthetics of a pipe and the mannerisms associated with pipe smokers and now I just got it.

Ever since I have been hooked, smoking at least two bowls a day and experimenting with different tobaccos and pipes. As I am currently not as financially carefree as I would like or was used to, I cannot afford to buy those beautiful pieces I adore. I am very fond of Savinellis, Leousises and Ribergs, but they are beyond my reach right now. So, I started looking for estate pipes and decided on trying my hand at restoring them. I enjoy this an awful lot as I have always loved woodwork and have a background as a modeller. So, long story short, I have somewhere around 50 pipes lying around right now waiting for some TLC. I hope to find some good advice here.

As the tobacco bans are pretty harsh here in Belgium and youngsters are more into showing off their vaping abilities than trying something more authentic, it has become increasingly hard to find good brick and mortars that have a decent selection of tobaccos. Tobacco cannot be sold online either, so I am quite jealous of you all. Luckily, I am living not too far from Germany, were pipe smoking is still a thing and there are some marvelous stores.
I'd love to meet some Belgian pipers here, because to my knowledge I am pretty much that sole under 50-ish bloke smoking a pipe. Luckily, when smoking in public, people are always very courteous and often start asking questions or telling stories about their grandads or uncles.

And then, of course there is Brian's Podcast. Felt like coming home somewhat: the humor, the music, the people interviewed, ... . Love it. So, nice to meet y'all!

Right now I am enjoying Chacom no. 5 in my favourite and beautiful Adsorba 210, bent billiard. I love the deep smokiness, the creamy mouthfeel and the notes of pine wood, honey, raw cocoa and Italian espresso in this blend. A Turin bicerin would be great with it.

Favourite pipes right now: the said Adsorba, a cheap Molina billiard (smoking very fine), a few Georg Jensens and my Bari Wikings.

Blend rotation:
  • Chacom no 4
  • Chacom no 5
  • 4th Generation (Stokkebye) 1855
  • 4th Generation (Stokkebye) 1882
  • Borkum Riff Original
  • V.B (J.B. Vinche) Blue
  • J.B Vinche Rise and Shine (= Dunhill's recipe)
  • J.B Vinche Classic British (= Dunhill)
  • Kentucky Bird (will be set aside for spring)
  • Amphora Full
  • Florina - Le Bouquet de Florina - Vieux Semois
  • Clan Original (meh)
  • Alsbo Gold
  • Poul Winslow No 1.
Ready to try:
  • Mac Baren Scottish Blend
  • Kohlhase & Kopp Winter Edition (will be popped on Christmas Eve)
  • Flying Dutchman Aromatic (a 15 year old tin I am rehydrating right now)
  • Mac Baren Golden Ambrosia (same)
And, oh yeah, did I mention I am a LOTR geek?

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Welcome from Pennsylvania and New York.

I have fond memories of a trip to Brussels with my brother, Tim, in 1986. We bought an amazing chocolate cake from Wittamer—we had no utensils and ended up sitting in a wooded park in the middle of the city eating the cake with our fingers, sitting in the rain (with ponchos, thankfully). We also had a lovely lunch at Comme Chez Soi—my brother made the reservation months in advance, but couldn’t get dinner, only lunch. We were going to try to have dinner there on a trip in 1991, but, adding Belgium would’ve made airfare much too expensive.

Reactions: Humblepipe

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Hi all!

As I went - and still am going - through a very rough personal ordeal starting a few months ago, I had to pack and unpack boxes and came across a few pipes I had bought a few years ago. I dabbled around with them a bit as I loved cigars, but wanted to try something new, mainly because I got the pipe of my granddad when he died. He was never much of a pipe smoker - nervous, so he made a lot of smoke and turned his tongue into Ardennais ham every time - but just the sight and the smell of it brought back so many memories i decided to give it a go. It never worked out much for me: puffed to hard, chose the wrong tobaccos, did not know how to clean my pipes, etc. etc.

A few months ago I decided to try again, but this time I looked up some info; started reading about it and found this gentle YouTuber, Muttnchop Piper, who became my mentor (such a fantastic guy). I watched a few vids, deep cleaned my favourite pipe from yore and smoked a bowl of Borkum Riff Original, which gave me, to my surprise, loads of pleasure and calmed me down completely. Suddenly I understood why people can be so passionate about smoking a pipe. I have always been intrigued by the ritual, the aesthetics of a pipe and the mannerisms associated with pipe smokers and now I just got it.

Ever since I have been hooked, smoking at least two bowls a day and experimenting with different tobaccos and pipes. As I am currently not as financially carefree as I would like or was used to, I cannot afford to buy those beautiful pieces I adore. I am very fond of Savinellis, Leousises and Ribergs, but they are beyond my reach right now. So, I started looking for estate pipes and decided on trying my hand at restoring them. I enjoy this an awful lot as I have always loved woodwork and have a background as a modeller. So, long story short, I have somewhere around 50 pipes lying around right now waiting for some TLC. I hope to find some good advice here.

As the tobacco bans are pretty harsh here in Belgium and youngsters are more into showing off their vaping abilities than trying something more authentic, it has become increasingly hard to find good brick and mortars that have a decent selection of tobaccos. Tobacco cannot be sold online either, so I am quite jealous of you all. Luckily, I am living not too far from Germany, were pipe smoking is still a thing and there are some marvelous stores.
I'd love to meet some Belgian pipers here, because to my knowledge I am pretty much that sole under 50-ish bloke smoking a pipe. Luckily, when smoking in public, people are always very courteous and often start asking questions or telling stories about their grandads or uncles.

And then, of course there is Brian's Podcast. Felt like coming home somewhat: the humor, the music, the people interviewed, ... . Love it. So, nice to meet y'all!

Right now I am enjoying Chacom no. 5 in my favourite and beautiful Adsorba 210, bent billiard. I love the deep smokiness, the creamy mouthfeel and the notes of pine wood, honey, raw cocoa and Italian espresso in this blend. A Turin bicerin would be great with it.

Favourite pipes right now: the said Adsorba, a cheap Molina billiard (smoking very fine), a few Georg Jensens and my Bari Wikings.

Blend rotation:
  • Chacom no 4
  • Chacom no 5
  • Borkum Riff Original
  • V.B (J.B. Vinche) Blue
  • Amphora Full
  • Clan Original (meh)
  • Alsbo Gold
  • Poul Winslow No 1.
Ready to try:
Welcome from Montreal, Canada. Always good to encourage any decent brick and mortar you can find. We can still order online here, and it is cheaper, but I would never want the local stores to disappear so I make sure I encourage them as well.

Reactions: Carol

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Hi all!

Blend rotation:
  • Chacom no 4
  • Chacom no 5
  • Borkum Riff Original
  • V.B (J.B. Vinche) Blue
  • Amphora Full
  • Clan Original (meh)
  • Alsbo Gold
  • Poul Winslow No 1.
Ready to try:
Welcome from Michigan, U.S.A.! And thanks for sharing so much information about yourself and your smoking journey. It’s a pleasure to meet you.