PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

john19

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2021
Greece
Hi guys. I would like your opinion for MB HH Pure Virginia, and Dan Patriot Flake. Which of these two would you prefer, and what are the differences between them? Also how do they compare to G.L. Pease Union Square?

Thanks.

Reactions: Peter Turbo

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
I’m all in when it comes to Dan Tobacco and their VA’s. I have some Patriot Flake from 2010 that is an amazing smoke. Just dark fruit sweet, smooth and bready its fantastic.

The HH Pure VA I have is much younger, only 3 years old but its also a great smoke. Has more citrus notes with some bread and light sweetness.

I haven’t smoked Union Square I hear good things but I try to stay away from blends manufactured by C&D. I’m not a fan.

Reactions: ram74 and john19

john19

Nov 27, 2021
Greece
I’m all in when it comes to Dan Tobacco and their VA’s. I have some Patriot Flake from 2010 that is an amazing smoke. Just dark fruit sweet, smooth and bready its fantastic.

The HH Pure VA I have is much younger, only 3 years old but its also a great smoke. Has more citrus notes with some bread and light sweetness.

I haven’t smoked Union Square I hear good things but I try to stay away from blends manufactured by C&D. I’m not a fan.
Thanks. I prefer the dark fruit style.

Reactions: Peter Turbo

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Not to hijack the thread—feel free to PM me if you’d like to discuss this—but: It sounds like your not enjoying C&D blends carries over to GLPease as well. While I don’t tend to like C&D blends, I’m a big fan of GLPease. But I think that, with C&D, I’m responding negatively to a blending philosophy/taste level; with GLPease, I have much more respect for the blending and tobacco choices.

I’ve never once smoked a GLPease blend and thought, “Hmm, this tastes like a C&D product.” (And vice versa.) But it sounds like maybe you have? Just curious about what connections you’ve actually experienced between GLP and C&D blends. Or is it more a matter of principle: You’re not smoking GLP simply because it was tinned by C&D?

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
Both are high quality but I prefer the Patriot Flake. It's just subjective though.
The Pure Virginia has some stoving that gives it a darker taste and some added strength. You may like that. Patriot Flake is lighter and easier going in my view. Patriot is more of a blonde Virginia, while Pure Virginia has added depth from the stoving.

Reactions: john19

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Hi guys. I would like your opinion for MB HH Pure Virginia, and Dan Patriot Flake. Which of these two would you prefer, and what are the differences between them? Also how do they compare to G.L. Pease Union Square?

Thanks.
I've tried 2 of the 3 (HH & Union Square) and I prefer HH significantly. I don't recall the distinctions about Union Square that were less than optimal for me, but HH easily wins this for me. I may be including this next inappropriately, but after I tried US I tried Montgomery (so I associate them in the noggin) and I was more impressed. Enough to order another couple 8oz tins for the hoard.

Reactions: yanoJL and john19

UpArrow

Lurker
Dec 13, 2022
I’ve never once smoked a GLPease blend and thought, “Hmm, this tastes like a C&D product.” (And vice versa.) But it sounds like maybe you have? Just curious about what connections you’ve actually experienced between GLP and C&D blends. Or is it more a matter of principle: You’re not smoking GLP simply because it was tinned by C&D?

I would have agreed with you until I tried Chelsea Morning

john19

Nov 27, 2021
Greece
I didn’t say that’s what I do pay. I said I would pay that, if that was what it cost.
Of course you will pay more for a blend you love. But since G.L. Pease are made from C&D, I don't see the point of them being more expensive (that's why I gave the example of C&D). At least, bring them in bulk too.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Of course you will pay more for a blend you love. But since G.L. Pease are made from C&D, I don't see the point of them being more expensive (that's why I gave the example of C&D). At least, bring them in bulk too.
This happens everywhere. Capstan is made by Mac Baren and is $18 per tin, while HH Pure Virginia is ~$13.

Different blends and labels cost different amounts even when made under the same manufacture house.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
This seems to be a common misunderstanding. Yes, these blends are tinned by C&D. But Greg sources and ages his own leaf, which is not the same leaf as what you’ll find in a C&D blend. And, or course, Greg is developing his own recipes and approaches to processing.

Also, I think it’s easy to forget that Greg is a boutique blender working with small batches. That doesn’t typically apply to manufacturers selling in loose bulk. (I’d argue that GLP does sell bulk; it just happens to be in 8oz and 1lb tins rather than loose in bags.)

john19

Nov 27, 2021
Greece
This seems to be a common misunderstanding. Yes, these blends are tinned by C&D. But Greg sources and ages his own leaf, which is not the same leaf as what you’ll find in a C&D blend. And, or course, Greg is developing his own recipes and approaches to processing.

Also, I think it’s easy to forget that Greg is a boutique blender working with small batches. That doesn’t typically apply to manufacturers selling in loose bulk. (I’d argue that GLP does sell bulk; it just happens to be in 8oz and 1lb tins rather than loose in bags.)
Ok, maybe I'm wrong. What matters is that they make good blends.