PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
I recently received this lovely flake from a generous forum member--and better yet, with a few years age on it.
Preparation/Tin Note:

The bag note is a lovely, leathery, spicy aroma, almost like beef jerky. I just rubbed the flake out--I generally prefer this to cube cut or folding, but I don't rub it out super aggressively--I still leave some pieces of the flake intact.
Smoke:

This was perfect for a long, relaxed smoke. The flake burns well, and I have maybe one relight per bowl on average. That said, it burns at a leisurely pace, so I could enjoy it for quite some time--maybe 30-40 minutes for a half of a bowl? Most of my smoking as of late has been at work, so I don't take a really long break. We do have lovely courtyards that work well for a relaxed smoke (I work at a college), but I don't have time for more than a 30 minute break or so on most days, so a lot of the time I'll smoke quick bowls of shag cut that burns quickly.
The flavor was what I expected from the tin note--a deep, leathery flavor, with a muted sweetness from the VA--a bit like unsweetened baker's chocolate, to make a weak analogy. One thing I enjoyed about this tobacco was how hearty it tastes. It has the flavor of a much stronger blend. That's not to say it isn't strong, but from the look of ODF, you'd expect it to be like Dark Flake or 1792. The full-flavored nature of the blend also says, "Beware--I'm strong." The blend does have some nic to it, but nothing like Dark Flake or 1792, which is actually kind of nice when I want a relaxed smoke at work on an empty stomach, but don't want to turn green. But I'm getting ahead of myself.
Nicotine:

I'd place this around medium. (For reference, however, Nightcap also is medium to me, and I've heard a lot of people say that it is a very strong blend.)
In Summary:

This is a very enjoyable blend that smokes very smoothly. It has a personality a bit like some of the strong Gawith flakes, but without the overwhelming nicotine, which will definitely be a good thing for many smokers. I'll have to get some more of it, because it fits nicely in my rotation for that reason: while I typically enjoy the flavor of really strong tobacco, I don't always smoke on a full stomach and so this would be a nice go to for a similar flavor profile with a medium amount of nicotine. The depth and smoothness of the blend was probably augmented by the age on the flakes. Thanks again, cobguy!

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
@Coyote - I think you might be mixing this up with something else. I'm pretty sure this came out in 2011 or 2012. That would make it a bit difficult to have tins with over 10 years on them.
This is a great tobacco... was one of my favorites. I have around 10 lbs. cellared, but lost my taste for it. Hopefully it will come back... if not, I have good trading currency!

I think that any 2011 releases were mostly early releases for reviews. 2012 was when the buzz started. But, it made the big splash on the forums in 2013. That was when I twisted Skip's arm behind his back to start stocking it in The briary. I remember that he told me that he didn't think it would sell, but in one week he was restocking the shelves, and I was getting to do the "I told you so" dance, ha ha.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
Good to see other ODF lovers here. :)

Right on, I found it to be way below Nightcap in strength. I think that you've hit all of the things that I notice about this one as well. Great review!!
Nightcap is a bit weird to me--it's the only tobacco that I've felt is marked wrongly as far as nicotine goes. I think maybe the perique hits people in a weird way and doesn't for me? Nightcap is certainly one of the most robust blends out there for pure flavor, though!

Perique is definitely a variable for different folks. I think of both of those as ground floor level for the heavy nic blends. You have to get up to one of these ground floors to start seeing how blends like Cotton Boll Twist and Dark Flake unscented are so much higher than those ground floor blends.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
Perique is definitely a variable for different folks. I think of both of those as ground floor level for the heavy nic blends. You have to get up to one of these ground floors to start seeing how blends like Cotton Boll Twist and Dark Flake unscented are so much higher than those ground floor blends.
I think I agree with this. And I'm also reminded that I need to try Cotton Boll Twist.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Never really thought of ODF as heavy in nicotine. Quite a bit less than a cigarette. Love the taste of it, but to give it more kick, I smoke it 50/50 with Black XX Twist.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
How does this compare to Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky? I used to get the names mixed up when browsing around for blends, but obviously that doesn't mean they are actually similar.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
+1 what Cosmic said.
Add one more into the mix to mix up... Peter Heinrich Dark Strong Flake... basically the same as Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky, only more molasses brown sugar vs. licorice. Also neither dark, nor strong IMO, though slightly darker and stronger than the Orlik, lol.
I don't mind it though, and it's certainly better than the Orlik in my opinion, but not even in the same wheelhouse as ODF.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
Hmm, thanks! Well if anyone else has good Dark Fired Kentucky recommendations, feel free to throw them in while we're on that subject, though at the moment ODF will fit the bill quite nicely!

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Nice review Beastinview. :puffy: HH ODF was the first tin I ever bought. I thought it would last me a month. I was very wrong. Good recommendations folks.
You know, it is useful threads like this that are going to keep me happily poor from TAD. :P

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Whereas ODF is a fine and respectable blend I reckon Bold Kentucky is by far the better of the two and knocks it into a cocked hat.
ODF = 7/10
BK = 9/10
Just my tuppence worth :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
Bold Kentucky sounds right up my alley! I'll take a look at that too.
My wife has weird tastes when it comes to room note. She likes latakia, DFK, even 1792 Flake. But she hates, hates burleys! Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.