PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ope!

Lurker
Dec 10, 2022
I figured I'd join after lurking since September and using this forum to learn this hobby.

I'm from Northern Lower Michigan, I've been smoking nails since I was 15, I'm 33 now. I tried my step-dads sour corncob when I was underage and got tongue bite each time from his disgusting medicinal tasting budget brand cherry tobacco and never tried pipes again until recently. I got really into cigars over the summer, and can't afford to burn away 80 dollars over the course of a weekend to smoke as much quality tobacco as I like, which strangely I still wanted cigarettes afterwards.

So I decided to give pipe smoking a try in September, I bought a basket pipe from my local tobacconist, a tin of EMP and a tin of Nightcap and did I fall in love, I also didn't feel a need to have cigarettes afterward. I only smoke cigarettes on with breaks now and only one per break instead of chain smoking. Which I think I can eventually quit after a couple weeks vacation. I also am not nearly as interested in having cigars, they just don't provide the same satisfaction for me as having a good bowl.

I've learned I'm a burley fanatic and Burley/Virginia/Perique blends are my favorite right now, I'm currently smoking some Old Joe Krantz in my Rossi Notte 614. Although Pegasus, Amphora Burley, 5 Brothers, and the green label semois burley are close favorites of mine, especially when my tongue needs a break from perique.

I am finding that controlling myself from acquiring new pipes and buying tobacco to try and cellar is hard when I'm trying to not spend what I was when I was smoking cigars all weekend.

Anyway, thanks for all the information y'all share on here, I look forward to talking and learning from y'all.

DeerparkDays

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2022
Dannevirke, New Zealand
Hey mate a
I figured I'd join after lurking since September and using this forum to learn this hobby.

I'm from Northern Lower Michigan, I've been smoking nails since I was 15, I'm 33 now. I tried my step-dads sour corncob when I was underage and got tongue bite each time from his disgusting medicinal tasting budget brand cherry tobacco and never tried pipes again until recently. I got really into cigars over the summer, and can't afford to burn away 80 dollars over the course of a weekend to smoke as much quality tobacco as I like, which strangely I still wanted cigarettes afterwards.

So I decided to give pipe smoking a try in September, I bought a basket pipe from my local tobacconist, a tin of EMP and a tin of Nightcap and did I fall in love, I also didn't feel a need to have cigarettes afterward. I only smoke cigarettes on with breaks now and only one per break instead of chain smoking. Which I think I can eventually quit after a couple weeks vacation. I also am not nearly as interested in having cigars, they just don't provide the same satisfaction for me as having a good bowl.

I've learned I'm a burley fanatic and Burley/Virginia/Perique blends are my favorite right now, I'm currently smoking some Old Joe Krantz in my Rossi Notte 614. Although Pegasus, Amphora Burley, 5 Brothers, and the green label semois burley are close favorites of mine, especially when my tongue needs a break from perique.

I am finding that controlling myself from acquiring new pipes and buying tobacco to try and cellar is hard when I'm trying to not spend what I was when I was smoking cigars all weekend.

Anyway, thanks for all the information y'all share on here, I look forward to talking and learning from y'all.
Hey mate and welcome. We sound like we have similar tastes, I love Amphora Burley blend. Try out MacBaron Symphony, I think you will like it, a nice slow burner with a beautiful taste. I’m going to pick one of the ones you suggested for my next order. Cheers and enjoy!

Reactions: Fralphog and Ope!

Ope!

Lurker
Dec 10, 2022
Hey mate a

Hey mate and welcome. We sound like we have similar tastes, I love Amphora Burley blend. Try out MacBaron Symphony, I think you will like it, a nice slow burner with a beautiful taste. I’m going to pick one of the ones you suggested for my next order. Cheers and enjoy!
I'll definitely pick some up next time I do a tobacco purchase. I think you should try C&D Pegasus if you haven't. It is so delightful, I'm gonna have some with coffee tomorrow morning.

Reactions: Fralphog

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
Cheers from down near the D. My son lives in TC right now and we spend lots of time north of there. I head into Nolan’s when I go into town.

Reactions: Ope!

DeerparkDays

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2022
Dannevirke, New Zealand
I'll definitely pick some up next time I do a tobacco purchase. I think you should try C&D Pegasus if you haven't. It is so delightful, I'm gonna have some with coffee tomorrow morning.
Hey Ope,
OK so I checked out Pegasus after your recommendation and the reviews paint a picture that definately is up my alley. I have ordered 2 lbs of it, if it makes it past customs I’ll let you know how I get on with it. Cheers and take care mate.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
G'day and welcome from Oz @Ope!

z-aussie bikini girls with flag.jpg

If you want to ditch the cigs entirely, the trick is to stop smoking them altogether.
Before I switched to a pipe, all it took to fail a quit attempt was just one cigarette.
Switching to a pipe was much easier than smoking nothing.

Now I smoke mild blends with mild nicotine that scratch the itch.

If you feel like you need a quick nic hit, just get yourself a small pipe and smoke your 5 Brothers or Nightcap on breaks [Btw, are you aware that there's an EMP and a Nightcap Match that can be ordered in bulk? Much cheaper than tins but are good quality]

Reactions: Fralphog