PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PiedmontPipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2022
I figured I'd join after lurking since September and using this forum to learn this hobby.

I'm from Northern Lower Michigan, I've been smoking nails since I was 15, I'm 33 now. I tried my step-dads sour corncob when I was underage and got tongue bite each time from his disgusting medicinal tasting budget brand cherry tobacco and never tried pipes again until recently. I got really into cigars over the summer, and can't afford to burn away 80 dollars over the course of a weekend to smoke as much quality tobacco as I like, which strangely I still wanted cigarettes afterwards.

So I decided to give pipe smoking a try in September, I bought a basket pipe from my local tobacconist, a tin of EMP and a tin of Nightcap and did I fall in love, I also didn't feel a need to have cigarettes afterward. I only smoke cigarettes on with breaks now and only one per break instead of chain smoking. Which I think I can eventually quit after a couple weeks vacation. I also am not nearly as interested in having cigars, they just don't provide the same satisfaction for me as having a good bowl.

I've learned I'm a burley fanatic and Burley/Virginia/Perique blends are my favorite right now, I'm currently smoking some Old Joe Krantz in my Rossi Notte 614. Although Pegasus, Amphora Burley, 5 Brothers, and the green label semois burley are close favorites of mine, especially when my tongue needs a break from perique.

I am finding that controlling myself from acquiring new pipes and buying tobacco to try and cellar is hard when I'm trying to not spend what I was when I was smoking cigars all weekend.

Anyway, thanks for all the information y'all share on here, I look forward to talking and learning from y'all
Welcome from Virginia.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome fellow burley devotee, from central North Carolina. Those blends you are smoking are right up my alley. I also like Rossi pipes a lot, the Savinelli shapes with just simpler finishes and the same good smoking traits. I've accumulated quite a stable of pipes, but this is over decades. I've culled the herd a few times as well.

I always learn something reading Forums.