PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
A friend of mine went through a rather odd phase of insisting everything was natural, so he bought one of these from a head shop to light his spliffs with.
I've used them a fair few times, they don't make any difference at all, they're a gimmick. And you need a lighter to light them anyway! :rofl:

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
TAB ... it comes like a ball of twine but made of hemp.
The jist is that you are lighting your smoke with natural material vs. butane / lighter fluid.
I use wooden matches and thus it is not a concern.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
This has been discussed several times here. To me it's lighting something to light something then relighting something to relight something. I don't need to add another step to my pipe smoking.

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
I'll sometimes use a Bic to light a used match if I don't want to use my bic. Usually I just use a match though. The hemp wick isn't made for pipe smoking, and I wasn't impressed enough to buy more when I tried it.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
A candle is a handy thing to have burning nearby for relighting

matches or wicks. Adds a little ambiance as well.

whiterabbit

Lurker
Jun 12, 2014
Beeline is my favorite. It's good stuff for sure. I go back and forth between it and plain old matches. I feel like there's a taller flame with wick. But again it's another thing to carry. Then again, my truck is my smoking den is maybe it's not so bad eh?

whiterabbit

Lurker
Jun 12, 2014
Beeline is my favorite. It's good stuff for sure. I go back and forth between it and plain old matches. I feel like there's a taller flame with wick. But again it's another thing to carry. Then again, my truck is my smoking den is maybe it's not so bad eh?

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Hemp wicks are far and away the best method for lighting a pipe. Why? Because it's a small, soft flame that burns at a lower temperature than any other method--from matches to Zippos to butane. As a result, you can put the right amount of flame just where you want it without overheating the tobacco or risking damage to the pipe. Granted, it's a bit impractical for lighting a pipe while driving a car, but when I'm at my desk I keep a smokers candle burning and my hemp wick close at hand. Elsewhere it's matches and/or a lighter, but nothing beats a hemp wick. And to tell the truth, it's kinda romantic too.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Hemp wicks are far and away the best method for lighting a pipe. Why? Because it's a small, soft flame that burns at a lower temperature than any other method--from matches to Zippos to butane. As a result, you can put the right amount of flame just where you want it without overheating the tobacco or risking damage to the pipe....nothing beats a hemp wick.
I agree totally, although I dont use mine much.

hemplighter.jpg

whiterabbit

Lurker
Jun 12, 2014
Been thinking about getting a xikar and ditching the matches, but I doubt I'll actually shell out the cash for a xikar.

bigc

Lurker
Nov 16, 2014
I like the idea of hemp wick does anyone make a cool looking dispenser. I saw on YouTube a guys page called the briar boy he had a cool looking dispenser that was titanium with a black plastic cap on to with a hole for the wick he said he was selling them on his etsy page but all i saw were tampers.

Status
Not open for further replies.