PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinkle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hi Gents

I recently read about the oxiclean method for cleaning vulcanite stems. I decided to try and clean up one of my late fathers Trypis pipes. I soaked the stem in the oxiclean for an hour along with some others and then hit them with the mr clean magic eraser. The other stems came to a nice matte black except for this trypis stem which turned like a coffee brown - it is also very rough feeling. I’ve tried magic erasering the crap out of it but doesn’t seem to have an effect. Is there anything I can do to fix this without tools as I live in a small condo? Pic below
321C2150-2A44-4C60-B6DF-9125E9406817.jpegI’m sure the pipe is not worth much money but it does have sentimental value - any tips you can give me would be appreciated.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I have one brand new artisan pipe with a vulcanite stem, that started to oxidize after the second smoke. I then remembered why I like acrylic. I don't have the patience for all that cleaning.

• Sad
Reactions: Casual and seanv

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
The lighter does work to a degree. However, it does take some time to develop that skill. In the meantime, bubbled, charred, burnt stems aren’t very appealing, to me anyway.

A 1750 rpm junk appliance motor can be had for free or very little.

Reactions: Papamique

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
My vulcanites are all still black. How long does it take to oxide? I typically clean them after smoke with jewelry polishing cloth. Seems to keep it shiny along with bands.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I would love to see a video of you using the bic technique. I’ve been mucking around with it but would be nice to see it in action
Had one up here, YouTube flagged and deleted it for tobacco use. Why not the polishing video I'll never know, possibly the use of a lighter in the deleted one.

Last edited:

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
In the meantime, bubbled, charred, burnt stems aren’t very appealing, to me anyway.
You only have the flame across small sections, you shouldn't even smell hot vulcanite. The aim is to lightly singe the outer surface.
A 1750 rpm junk appliance motor can be had for free or very little.
And can throw a pipe across the room without the developed skill.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
My vulcanites are all still black. How long does it take to oxide? I typically clean them after smoke with jewelry polishing cloth. Seems to keep it shiny along with bands.
If you keep up with cleaning them the way you are, they'll stay black for a very long time. This one was give to me in '92 and hasn't turned.

20191105_080226.jpg

Reactions: bullet08

Spinkle

Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
IMHO all the magical solutions and potions are just a waste of money. And in the end, you’ll end up sanding or scraping anyways.

I can clean up a stem in 15-30 minutes using the methods in the following videos...

I did see this video, unfortunately since I live in a small condo not only do I not have the tools, but I don't have room for them anywhere even if I did buy them. I found some more of his vids, and chasingembers idea about wet sanding seems to have worked pretty good. I will micromesh the stem when I can - the wet sandpaper came from amazon first, so still waiting on the mesh pads.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
@chasingembers your thread specifically mentions a non- baking soda based toothpaste. Is this because baking soda brings oxidation to surface again? Would explain why mine have gone backwards after doing lighter trick. I used baking soda tooth paste. lol
I just don't use it because of the additional abrasive. You may be on to something though.?

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Spinkle

Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I was bored as I got through a lot of work this week so I decided to get started on the other Trypis pipe. Forgot to take a before pic but it was in rough shape. Needs more work on the stem but starting to look good. Note the knockoff plip stem!
462FF063-AA28-48D8-8F05-570570ECD685.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.