PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2016
@fredo, true Roll Your Own tobacco can't be shipped across state lines. There is a huge loophole that allows "pipe tobacco" to be sold that is really meant to roll cigarettes. You see bags of it in convenience stores and also at the major etailers. There is also a revenue loss to the government, which may or may not actually be as significant as the anti tobacco folks think it is, but the do gooders introduce a bill every session of Congress, it seems, to close the "loop hole." In addition to being restricted from interstate shipping, true RYO tobacco is subjected to a higher tax than pipe tobacco.
That is a long winded explanation, but a scenario that I think is at least as likely to happen as state by state ban. That the anti tobacco crowd hasn't managed to sneak this into some continuing resolution passed in the dead of night is only due to the diligence of a few Congressmen from tobacco producing states.

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
Okay, so just too wrap up the question of legalities portion, because I'm trying to understand it too...

-There is a possibility, even a likelihood that online purchasing will be going away, meaning you would then be at the mercy of whatever your local retailer may stock.

-There is also the issue of the "manufacturer's license" (or something to that effect), that would make blending more than two tobaccos together require an expensive license also a possibility. Thereby making small blenders )and presumably, your local tobacco shop) need to bow out. Am I correct in this, and where is that in the looming future? Also, does this possible issue effect blends from someone like Hearth and Home, and therefore they also should be a concern when cellaring?
All I know is I fell in love w Shortcut to Mushrooms and you all have me freaked out so I bought a pound immediately, lol.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There is a possibility, even a likelihood that online purchasing will be going away, meaning you would then be at the mercy of whatever your local retailer may stock.
Well, then we would be back to catalog sales, like the old days. Otherwise, yes, you're reliant upon your local B&M. But think of the bright side. Thousands of us geezers are going to croak out, leaving our cellars up for grabs, and you'll be able to buy up some good aged stuff.
There is also the issue of the "manufacturer's license" (or something to that effect), that would make blending more than two tobaccos together require an expensive license also a possibility. Thereby making small blenders )and presumably, your local tobacco shop) need to bow out. Am I correct in this, and where is that in the looming future?
Yes. But you have a few years before the guillotine blade drops. Start cellaring!
Also, does this possible issue effect blends from someone like Hearth and Home, and therefore they also should be a concern when cellaring?
To a lesser extent. Blends that were available for purchase on or before February 15th 2007 will be grandfathered in. Blends introduced after that date will need to go through the FDA deeming process or be taken off the market on August 8th 2021. There are a lot of great blends that will be grandfathered in, like Middleton Cherry.

Oct 7, 2016
Well, then we would be back to catalog sales, like the old days.
My understanding is that RYO tobacco can't be sold by catalog, either. There are all sorts of Doomsday scenarios we can think of, my own bet would be pipe tobacco being subjected to the same tax and shipment rules as RYO. A lesser Doomsday, perhaps, might be if the Supreme Court reverses the decision that limits states ability to collect sales taxes from out of state mail order/internet shipments, and states like Florida might then be allowed to collect their confiscatory tobacco tax.
@Sablebrush52, "Estate planning for your clients' tobacco cellars" sounds like a good topic for a continuing legal education seminar.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
The experience of the McClelland debacle has really focused my cellaring. By dumb luck I chose my McClelland favorites as my cellaring priorities in what turned out to be just enough time to get a decent amount for my smoking rate before the closing rumors and subsequent hysteria started. I wish I had more, but it could have been a lot worse, and I’ll be good with those faves for many years. But after going through that, I’ve made a list in order of priority, and I’m buying as if those blends on the list aren’t gonna be around in a couple of years.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
Being new to pipe tobacco, I'm buying two tins at a time and smoking as fast as I can to figure out what what I like best to get more of.
Problem is I don't know what something will taste like aged, so I do my best research and pray I'm not steered wrong (here's looking at you Escudo!).
I'm too young to cellar for life (would need a 1000+ tins), but I hope to build enough to sustain me if we really do lose the right to buy tobacco online or restrictions are upheld. I'm also hoping that it fizzles out and actually turns to dust, but I dont know enough about the FDA regulations to make a call one way or the other.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Good to excellent bulk tobaccos can be jarred for your cellar, and will reduce the acquisition cost substantially. And you don't have to cellar now for life! (unless you believe in a draconian future in your country.)

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
Bulk is a good option, I have about 8 different types (mostly Stokkebye) that I can easily see myself buying more. Jar storage is a little more tricky...
And I hope and pray the future is bright for many things, but the way some of these posts read come 2021 (which at first was 2018), tobacco prices will jump and we'll lose a lot of good blends. That's the future, for now I'll enjoy my Gaslight and newly discovered Haddos on my back porch and just be.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I got in the hobby and just started buying tobacco, my cellar happened because I couldn't smoke as fast as I could buy.
I'm a fan of Klondike Gold, but didn't go deep enough. If anyone wouldn't mind parting with 3 to 5 tins, I'd be happy to pay if anyone wouldn't mind parting with any they feel they wont get around to smoking. Hit me up with a PM and we can talk pricing.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Thinking about it asking for 3 to 5 tins from someone seems a bit greedy. 5 tins the total I'm looking to aquire, I'd be happy with a single tin from anyone's cellar. Thanks. :)

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
Jar storage is a heavy PITA but well worth it compared to the cost of buying tins. Jars are cheap at the end of summer and reasonably cheap year round from Target or Walmart with even free delivery. Plenty of good bulk blends at good prices out there. C&D, D&R, Dunhill, PS, Rattray's, Mac Baren, etc....so many good bulks to cellar at a relative bargain. Wait for the big bulk sales and stock up.
My advice for storing bigger mason jars is to leave them in the carton they came in, sort the jars by tobacco brand and/or age, and stack them in a dry environment so that the cardboard trays don't absorb moisture and lids don't rust. Leave the plastic wrap on to give the boxes some added support and protection. You can either cut it off at the top of the tray or slit the top of the plastic, then fold it over the lip of the tray and under the jars for added strength and protection. I learned that slitting the tops of the shrink wrap into flaps also makes a pretty good dust jacket too.
I use 1/2 pint jars and wooden or plastic soda crates for my working stash.

Reactions: ofafeather
Status
Not open for further replies.