PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
cos, there will always be a black market for things like pipe tobacco. Cuban cigars are illegal to bring into the US. The law states that importing Cuban cigars is an act of trading with the enemy. It carries a fine of up to 50,000.00 and no one I know who had shipments seized ever got a fine or got arrested. US Customs sends out a letter asking you if you want to appeal their keeping your cigars. Of course you just ignore the letter an move on. I know people who have 5-6 letters framed in their smoking rooms. Where there is a will, there will always be a way, that I am positive of.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
You can't sell tobacco on eBay but you apparently can sell collectible tins that happen to be sealed and full of tobacco. How stupid is that?
Having been a short sighted fool 12 years ago when I quit cigarettes and sold off my cigar, pipe and tobacco collection (i quit smoking everything for 6 months), I have been buying like crazy since I started pipe again in November. I see no down side. Being a mcclelland Virginia fan, I bought as much 5100 as I could find along with many of their red Virginia baded blends. Assuming that other companies may also eventually experience problems with quality red Virginia leaf, or even see the quality of their blends lessen, I've stocked up on many of those as well. Thanks to my Director of Tobacco Purchases, Harris, I've found some rationale deals on already aged tobacco and some he simply insisted I buy. And will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. I have three of the large, plastic stackable tubs full now stored in my basement and the next orders that come in will nearly fill a fourth. I'm guessing it must be over 70 lbs in bulk and tins combined.
My goal is to have a minimum of 150 lbs cellared by the end of the year and over 225 by the end of 2019. I'm 62, so that should provide a reasonable safety net. I figure I smoke 10 to 12 pounds per year. If nothing bad happens to the industry, great, I'll enjoy aged tobacco the rest of my life. If I die, my children can take up pipe smoking, sell it, give it away or throw it away. I don't care, I'll be dead.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Mark, here are the plastic tubs I keep a bunch of tins in. I have 6 of them under my bed. I also have my night stand draws filled with tins. I have 3 big drawers per night stand.
tob3-600x401.jpg

tob1-600x401.jpg

tob2-600x401.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Buy blends to smoke or because you love collecting and want a stash. Don't buy it for investment purposes - there are far easier and more efficient ways to make a healthy profit than buying pipe tobacco.
True enough. In fact, no one has ever claimed to have made money investing in tobacco. Well, no one has posted same in response to similar statements over the last few years.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You can't sell tobacco on eBay but you apparently can sell collectible tins that happen to be sealed and full of tobacco. How stupid is that?
According to eBay rules, you can't sell a collectible tin that has tobacco in it. You're supposed to show a picture of the interior of the empty tin. Pipestud got his hand slapped by eBay, so he actually does better with his own site.
eBay does a crappy job of policing their sites. They don't want to spend that kind of money. But the hitch is that you can sell a tin of tobacco and get screwed by an unscrupulous buyer if they file a complaint, because you're selling banned items. You can end up with nothing. So selling on eBay carries an element of risk.
If you're going to buy as an investment, something that I don't do, you can sell your holdings at pipe shows or through an online dealer (for now). Support those pipe shows! They may become more important to the community in future, especially if internet sales get banned.
Buy blends to smoke or because you love collecting and want a stash. Don't buy it for investment purposes - there are far easier and more efficient ways to make a healthy profit than buying pipe tobacco.
Truer words were never writ. I stock what I like to smoke. The only exceptions are Penzance and Germain's Balkan Sobranie. The Penzance is to share or gift on occasion, or for the occasional trade. Can't abide the stuff myself. The Balkan Sobranie I bought before I was aware of what a bad rendition it is, before it became unobtanium. Eventually I'll get rid of it.
Harris, the sad thing is that your storage system looks depressingly like mine...

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Harris, the tubs I purchased aren't as long as yours are but deeper. Keep in mind, I'm putting quite a few mason jars in mine so they have to be deeper. However, I like what you have a lot better for tins. They're cheap, so I'll find some of what you have for tins and keep the blue tubs for mason jars.
I'm not going for the tins in the drawers. If there is an intruder some night, I feel safer defending myself with a pistol versus throwing a tin of tobacco at them.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I'm not going for the tins in the drawers. If there is an intruder some night, I feel safer defending myself with a pistol versus throwing a tin of tobacco at them.
Just make sure it's a Lakeland tin you're throwing and you shall prevail!
jay-roger.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Mark, I buy those long ones at Walmart, they are cheap.
Jesse, I have never bought a blend that I don't smoke and plan on smoking when aged nicely. I joke about making money off of pipe tobacco but the thought of buying tins like Nightcap or others I don't smoke is never going to happen. One day when I am gone, my kids will have some tobacco and pipes that they can sell for whatever they are worth. I am sure my bags of Stonehaven are not going to go down in value. The only money I made on pipe tobacco was a bunch of Murrey Dunhill, Penzance and some Gl Pease blends. I had bought them all in 2002 and after I lost my taste for English blends I ended up selling them in 2012 through 4noggins. My 5 dollar Dunhill tins went for 50-60 on his site, I made a few bucks and was happy as I just spent the ,money on more tobacco.
Yes there are much better investments than pipe tobacco, private lending being one of them. :wink:

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Just make sure it's a Lakeland tin you're throwing and you shall prevail!
LOL I might lose in the ensuing civil suit though for cruel and unusual punishment. Just think, if I threw a tin of Royal Yuck at the intruder, I might be labeled as a terrorist!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Yes there are much better investments than pipe tobacco, private lending being one of them.
Harris, can I borrow $5M? Oh, and you might know the answer to this. This question is for a friend. If the friend came into some huge sum of money, or even say they were trying to not be found by someone very mean, and was trying to leave the country, do you think there would be problems exiting the country with a large trunk containing pipes and tobacco?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Mark, your wife has already warned me from helping you leave the country with all your pipes and tobacco. Sorry buddy but she is a lot prettier than you.
seacaptain, that is a very good recommendation. Here in Florida we have no basements so no worries for me on that one.

fredo

Lurker
Feb 3, 2018
As I read this thread I wondered: should I have not gotten into this hobby?

Will I soon be unable to buy pipe tobacco?

Can someone direct me to the literature that announces this "end of selling tobacco online" doomsday?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
fredo, there is no literature stating that buying tobacco online is going away. All we have is that a couple of states I believe Wisconsin is one that does not allow their residents to buy tobacco online so the online retailers will not ship to those states. Many of us believe that is going to happen to all 50 states. Pipe tobacco is under siege from the FDA, there are all kinds of articles about that. If you live in one of the low tax states, buying locally is an option.
Here in my state of Florida they put an 85% wholesale tax on pipe tobacco making it ridiculous to buy at my local tobacconist, as I would have to pay more than double of what I do online. If you are going to get into this thing of pipes and tobacco, you might want to think about loading up on tobacco before you load up on pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.