PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Peter - CCB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2019
Santa Barbara, CA
www.etsy.com
I’m a bit embarrassed to even ask, but there’s this sliver of doubt going either way that’s driving me nuts. lol. There’s no stamping on the band and it appears to be aluminum or nickel but I would have assumed they’d use silver bands. I’ve only had a couple so I’m not well versed with the brand and just was hoping for any confirmation. Did they produce bands of various materials or can you tell just by looking with decent certainty it isn’t silver? Normally I’d assume no but I was just hoping for a bit more confirmation. I appreciate any opinions. - Pete IMG_7071.jpegBEA847F6-F107-4156-96A9-2AA4FE1C5AE1.jpeg353CE7AD-C89F-4466-92DE-32BCBA01B7E2.jpeg

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I'm no professional, but I'd guess that's silver over nickel. Just had a certain shine to it like my wedding ring.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd guess nickel because of the pricing on most Parkers, but I don't know. I don't see Parker pipes sold much. I think Cup O'Joes used to sell a small selection, but I haven't seen them lately. I don't remember any bands on those. This could be an after market addition.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I've seen a fair amount of older Parker pipes. I'm trying to remember one that had a band that wasn't a repair job.

No patent and date code, so it's post-1957 I believe. The circular stamp would have enclosed the "group size" but it looks to have been gouged in to? Strange. I'm no expert.

Yours in particular is interesting because of the metal shape and even moreso that it's attached to the stem and not the shank. It has a VERY aftermarket look to it. Not bad, just unique.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
OP- anything further you may have learned? Nickel is used by many; polished, it looks almost like silver. (Have some Peterson's with nickel band, but attached to stummel.)

Reactions: didimauw
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
That's turned and solid, if it were nickel it would be pretty heavy. It's likely aluminum. Accents and godets' like this are rarely made of silver it would create way to much waste and cost a fortune. I'm nearly 100% certain its aluminum.

Reactions: yanoJL
What you folks are calling nickel is actually white bronze, also called German silver. It has a tad of nickel in it, but nickel is so hard in its pure form that no one would want to work with it. Plus, it is toxic on your immune system. Used only in pure form in jet engine turbines.

Why is it so important to ID this metal? Are you contemplating doing something with it?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
That's turned and solid, if it were nickel it would be pretty heavy. It's likely aluminum. Accents and godets' like this are rarely made of silver it would create way to much waste and cost a fortune. I'm nearly 100% certain its aluminum.

Ditto ^^^^

That's my take as well

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
True, but I've had nickel bands that had fake hallmarks as well.
Yes, Peterson have Hallmarks on nickel that are not really Hallmarks and I have seen Hallmarks on other pipes with Nickel or Aluminium that mean next to nothing, my point and what I wrote was if it was Silver it would definitely have the correct Hallmarks, this is the law here in the UK and since Parker is UK based it would have Hallmarks if it was Silver, if it hasn't got Hallmarks it is not Silver.

Reactions: didimauw
Accents and godets' like this are rarely made of silver it would create way to much waste and cost a fortune.
Umm, it would weigh maybe .14oz if silver, and cost about $4. Not exactly a fortune. I mean, way more than the $0.02 of aluminum.
But... Parkers are made in Britain, and Britain is the only country that requires all silver and gold to be assayed and stamped. So... In the USA, we can make anything out of silver and just not tell anyone. We are not required to disclose. And, the laws governing mis stamping metals is barely enforceable... unless we are talking jewelry worth over $1500 to make it a felony theft. Alabama is $1500, not sure about all states.

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG