PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Ohhhh if it’s an “e” that really…. Doesn’t change a thing still got nothing.
Fair call. But the difference between an “e” and a “G” in Birmingham date letters is 27 or 49 years.

However now seeing the pics of the hallmarks I’m not sure what it is.

@Humblepipe do you have the glasses app or something similar on your phone?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Yep I’ve got no idea now. Curious to see what you other guys come up with. Not only the date letter but the cartouche styles cross out 1904 as an option for me.
Because, based on the cartouche shapes and the date letter, you're looking at 1988. This pipe had some custom silver work done on it in 1988.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I always perhaps naively imagine it's an enthusiastic pipe collector wanting to know more about a treasure pipe they've found or inherited, when more often then not it's a salesman looking for a sales pitch. This pipe is up on eBay. I'm sure everyone's hard sleuthing for a backstory will earn the pipe a nice premium.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I always perhaps naively imagine it's an enthusiastic pipe collector wanting to know more about a treasure pipe they've found or inherited, when more often then not it's a salesman looking for a sales pitch. This pipe is up on eBay. I'm sure everyone's hard sleuthing for a backstory will earn the pipe a nice premium.

It's true. I listed the pipe. I am glad you have me all figured out. Thanks for the character assassination.

Reactions: Ahi Ka
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
It's true. I listed the pipe. I am glad you have me all figured out. Thanks for the character assassination.
And I just bought it. So, where's the problem?

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
And I just bought it. So, where's the problem?
Super interested to hear how it smokes bro.

Also. Knowing you are a stickler for preservation. Be careful when/if you pull off the MK 1904 sticker from the case as it will probably pull off some of the leather colour leaving a rectangle behind. You might need to use some soapy water the to moisten it first or something 🤙🏼

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Super interested to hear how it smokes bro.

Also. Knowing you are a stickler for preservation. Be careful when/if you pull off the MK 1904 sticker from the case as it will probably pull off some of the leather colour leaving a rectangle behind. You might need to use some soapy water the to moisten it first or something 🤙🏼
The draw is very nice. Some of my pipes from this period have tight draws that almost give me a headache trying to smoke. The pipe is quite a bit smaller than is my usual preference, but, I'm loving it (much because of whose hands it has passed through).

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
The draw is very nice. Some of my pipes from this period have tight draws that almost give me a headache trying to smoke. The pipe is quite a bit smaller than is my usual preference, but, I'm loving it (much because of whose hands it has passed through).
Probably due to the repair removing the bone tenon so there’s no hourglass shape to the air channel. That said, I love bone tenons

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Probably due to the repair removing the bone tenon so there’s no hourglass shape to the air channel. That said, I love bone tenons
That makes total sense. 100% original is my preference when it comes to collecting, be it books, records, or pipes, but, I'm a sucker for pipes with metal caps and the shape of this repair sleeve makes this pipe sexier than it probably looked originally. I'm a happy camper.