PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Just put a new Zippo flint in my lighter and the wheel jams up and won't turn. Very frustrating. Any suggestions? I've had this one for 35 years and this is the first time it's caused me problems.

I've always had problems with those pipe inserts. I think the wheels on them are of a lesser quality or something, because I have to sometimes clean them with a solvent, like alcohol or acetone with an old electric toothbrush to get them to spark again, and sometimes nothing I've tried works. I've never had this problem with the original inserts. And, some pipe inserts don't have this problem. puffy It's a phenomena.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Roll the wheel forward then back. I've had a few where I had to break the flint in half, then it worked fine. I stopped buying flints a while back and started salvaging them from dead bics. Exactly the same, and I usually get 3 zippo sized replacements out of a single used bic flint.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Roll the wheel forward then back. I've had a few where I had to break the flint in half, then it worked fine. I stopped buying flints a while back and started salvaging them from dead bics. Exactly the same, and I usually get 3 zippo sized replacements out of a single used bic flint.
It’s ridiculous how big the flint is in a Bic

when I was a kid on vacation in Florida I found an empty spuds Mackenzie bic on the beach. I kept it for years just sparking the wheel. As far as I know the flint never ran out and I can only assume my mom threw it away.

so I guess I was kind of a pre-Beavis

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It’s ridiculous how big the flint is in a Bic

when I was a kid on vacation in Florida I found an empty spuds Mackenzie bic on the beach. I kept it for years just sparking the wheel. As far as I know the flint never ran out and I can only assume my mom threw it away.

so I guess I was kind of a pre-Beavis
I remember finding lighters when I was a child. It felt like a gift from god to my little kid mind.

Reactions: BROBS and rushx9

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
On a dupont clone I had a small piece of flint that was almost out kind of turn sideways and jam just before touching the striker wheel so it just spun freely. Finally I got it out and a new flint in and worked fine. So it’s quite possible that the same thing happened here. Are you using a Zippo or Ronson flint?

Reactions: JOHN72 and edger

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
And if you cant turn the wheel backwards also, take the new flint out, turn the wheel backwards & forwards. tap lighter in your hand till little piece of old flint falls out. Put the new one in and spark away.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
On a dupont clone I had a small piece of flint that was almost out kind of turn sideways and jam just before touching the striker wheel so it just spun freely. Finally I got it out and a new flint in and worked fine. So it’s quite possible that the same thing happened here. Are you using a Zippo or Ronson flint?
Zippo flint.

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.