PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thanks to everyone for their input. I love the Cavicchi Dublins but they are pretty big. Finding a group 4-5 isn't easy and I am not taking a chance on the stem. Maybe if I really get the urge I will buy one and send it to George for a real stem. I just got a look at Georges new stem colors and one was hot pink, that would go with the black nicely.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I can’t imagine for what Claudio asks of the price, the stems would be overly uncomfortable. I personally don’t clench and bite down on my stems, I just let them dangle/droop from my mouth.

I actually hate having stems oxidize and needing to be maintained.

Does anyone know, if there are different grades of acrylic, some softer than others?

hmm 🤔

P.S. @cigrmaster if your pockets are deep, you could always go, with having someone like Ryan make you a vulcanite/cumberland stem.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I went online for a few minutes, I didn’t see any contact info for him. I wonder if he might do a commission?

@cigrmaster I don’t mean to deter you from Claudio, but since you’re against acrylic stems, do you own, or have considered pipes from Jose Rubio instead? 🤔

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I can’t imagine for what Claudio asks of the price, the stems would be overly uncomfortable. I personally don’t clench and bite down on my stems, I just let them dangle/droop from my mouth.

Pipe stem comfort is as individual as fingerprints.

Does anyone know, if there are different grades of acrylic, some softer than others?

There are many recipes for acrylic plastic. Some carvers even cast their own (you just mix the ingredients like epoxy).

Durability is all over the map. From crumbly, snappy trash to "aerospace use" tough.

Why any company or carver uses sub-optimal material for their product is because the bulletproof varieties are a huge PITA to fabricate.

Reactions: Toast and Papamique
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Thanks to everyone for their input. I love the Cavicchi Dublins but they are pretty big. Finding a group 4-5 isn't easy and I am not taking a chance on the stem. Maybe if I really get the urge I will buy one and send it to George for a real stem. I just got a look at Georges new stem colors and one was hot pink, that would go with the black nicely.
How about this one ?

Claudio Cavicchi straight grain CCC pipe 2.jpg

ARTOPUT

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2022
Bonners Ferry, Idaho
I must be very forgiving with stems. The only ones I ever complained about were Missouri Meerschaum's plastic which are like smoking through a Barbie doll leg. A couple Forever Stems from Walker Briar Works cured that.
Would you by chance know where to get the forever stems now that Walker Briar has retired?

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
Thanks goodness I do not have to sell my pipes for the fact their stem is made out of acrylic...My stems feel all the same-just slide the rubber bit over it and my teeth are in the haven..I actually prefer acrylic for low maintenance.I sure want Cavicchi pipe..and eventually will get one ...They look like an amazing quality made pipes..