PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Does anyone here collect Cavicchi's? I have been pining for one for over 10 years but the actylic stem hold me back. Are they similar to Castello or Radice or other Italian makers? Do they do anything that makes it almost as comfortable as a eWll made German vulcanite stem?

I think Cavicchi makes some of the best shaped Dublins, Apples and Billiards. If I were to get one the Dublin would be first. So can anyone help me out. Castello, Viprati, Radice, Don Carlos, Ser Jacobo, Mastro de Paja old Caninetto's from the Radice/ Ascorti era are all pipes I have owned in the past and moved them all because of the stems. I really want to try a Cavicchi but am reticent because of the stems. Any help would be appreciated.

Reactions: AppalachianPipe92

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
I have a “few” Cavicchi pipes and the stems are acrylic through and through. He makes no apology for it and the best I can tell doesn’t try to make them like ebonite. If you can’t stand acrylic I wouldn’t recommend one.

However, they are very well done pipes and the briar is very well seasoned (however he does it) and beautiful. Everything about the making of them is perfectly done. From drilling to fit and finish in my opinion anyways.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thanks Papa, I appreciate your take on the subject. I had a strong feeling that is what I was going to hear. If you have any Castelllo's, how do they compare smoking wise, not comfort wise? . I loved the way my Castello smoked but they don't have the styling and shaping that I like about the Cavicchi.

My only option it seems it to have a custom made vulcanite stem for it but I am not sure if George does that kind of thing, I will ask him.

Reactions: Papamique

spike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2009
I have owned 9 Cavicchi pipes over the past 17 years, still having 3, and will attest to the fact they are magnificent (I traded the 6, not because i didn’t like them, but because I liked something else better). Twenty nine of my 34 pipes have acrylic stems because that is my preferred stem material. I would certainly buy more Cavicchis.

spike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2009
At first Savinelli Autographs and Ashtons. Later and now, Caminetto Moustache grades and Brebbia Linea As. I unloaded all the Ashtons and almost all Savinelli Autographs. Truth be told, the Caminettos and Brebbia Linea As don’t necessarily smoke any better than the Cavicchis. I just liked the designs better.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
If you want a rubber stemmed Cavicchi just get a vulcanite copy made of the acrylic original.

A stem doesn't HAVE to have been BorderColliePuppyDogged to replace it.

(If you think da wiff will object, just chew 'em up yourself and blame it the neighbor's dog)

Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 3.52.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 3.53.15 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 3.53.31 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 3.53.52 PM.jpg

spike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2009
I have had a few of the old Caminetto's and they smoked as good as any Italian pipe I ever smoked including Castello. They can be had for dirt cheap as well.
Yep. I look for only Caminetto Moustache grade, but that’s because they are more difficult to find.

Any older Caminetto is a fine smoke. Same for most of the newer ones.

Reactions: ofafeather

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I have two Cavicchis and they are great smokers. The wide, acrylic bit doesn't bother me. I would say they are top of the line Italian pipes, and I own a fair number of those.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Funny this post came up, because I’ve been really looking at the Cavicchi pipes at SPC, and online for the past two years trying to decide on them. And now with the prices really getting high, I’ve been turned off, prices on the so called upper class pipes are just getting to expensive with many makers/carvers.

If you ask me, Castello and Cavicchi should be half of what they are now asking, on many of the upper end pipes.

if you’ve been watching SPC for the past several years, you’ll see now, a lot of the pipes aren’t flying out the door like they use to, makes me think, it’s only one thing, cost.

Two years ago, the Cavicchi that came in, most sold out pretty quick, at SPC now look at how many are sitting there, and have been sitting there.

PAD died in me, seeing these costs out there.

Pipe smoking is such a small niche market already, and if prices keep going up, who’s going to really be able to support it any longer. Pipe carvers/makers need to really start thinking about this moving forward, I see the costs killing the industry.

Sorry for going off topic @cigrmaster :(

Cavicchi do look like nice pipes, I’d put them above Radice and Castello.

Last edited:

jmsmitty6

Can't Leave
Jan 12, 2018
Cincinnati, Ohio
I have owned at least 6 Castello’s and 3 Cavicchi pipes. The Cavicchi’s are the better of the two for me for the following reasons: the blasts/grain and attention to detail regarding the stem work. However, as others have stated more eloquently, an acrylic stem (even done well) is still an acrylic stem.

FWIW, I no longer own any of these pipes because of size. My collection strongly favors smaller/lighter pipes. However, if I didn’t care about size, I’d probably own 30 Cavicchi’s as they represent fantastic value for money.

Jason

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I own 3 Cavicchi pipes. 2 bent billiards and a volcano, all blasted. Cavicchis are generally on the heavier side with deeper Chambers (1.75" + seems to be the norm) most well 2 oz or more. I'm starting to favor a more shallow chamber in my pipes these days. My last quarter bowls in deep pipes start requiring relights by the dozen. But enough babbling! Cavicchis are beautiful!

Papamique

Mar 11, 2020
Thanks Papa, I appreciate your take on the subject. I had a strong feeling that is what I was going to hear. If you have any Castelllo's, how do they compare smoking wise, not comfort wise? . I loved the way my Castello smoked but they don't have the styling and shaping that I like about the Cavicchi.

My only option it seems it to have a custom made vulcanite stem for it but I am not sure if George does that kind of thing, I will ask him.
Every bit as good as a Castello. At that end of the spectrum, I don’t know if I could say which is better without bias playing a role.

I prefer the Cavicchi only because they are hand made by one man who has been making them for a very long time, the prices are good, and every detail is meticulous which I appreciate.

Now I’m thinking of having a nice vulcanite stem made for one. I think George makes a valid point. 😊

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
By my experience, if you don't mind acrylic, Cavicchi stems are pretty good. Not George Dibos good mind you, but pretty good. Castello stems can definitely be wonky and chunky buttoned, I'd say a Cavicchi is on equal footing. You can see the magic George did with the Cavicchi in this thread - go for it! And, I agree that style wise, Cavicchi's stand pretty tall. Grain-wise, it is Cavicchi all the way. The only reason I can think of as to why we don't see more here is, their marketing stinks. I can't remember the last time someone posted a new addition.

Papamique

Mar 11, 2020
By my experience, if you don't mind acrylic, Cavicchi stems are pretty good. Not George Dibos good mind you, but pretty good. Castello stems can definitely be wonky and chunky buttoned, I'd say a Cavicchi is on equal footing. You can see the magic George did with the Cavicchi in this thread - go for it! And, I agree that style wise, Cavicchi's stand pretty tall. Grain-wise, it is Cavicchi all the way. The only reason I can think of as to why we don't see more here is, their marketing stinks. I can't remember the last time someone posted a new addition.
Lol. If by new addition you mean posting a new acquisition then I just did on my birthday 3 weeks ago albeit in the WAYS thread so you may have missed it Al.

I was just thinking, and I don’t know the answer here, but how many people are still around that have been making pipes for as long as Claudio? Maybe Radice? Tim west? Rich Lewis?Sure companies have been around as long or longer but they change carvers from time to time and you never know who carved your pipe. With Cavicchi pipes you know it was hand made by Claudio himself who has decades experience in making them (I think close to 50 years if I remember correct). That is something that stands out.

To clarify, I really like castello pipes too and have a “few” of them also.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
A master of grain! The stems are comparable to Castello stems, but IMO slighty less bulky and with a slightly smaller and more comfortable bit.

The pipes on the other hand, despite sporting some of the most consistently amazing grain, are all so huge! I love Cavicchi pipes, but own only a couple because all the damn things are the size of tree stumps!