PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dongreyface

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2011
Marietta, Ohio
tiltjlp, I don't think I'm smoking them any faster than my briars, and I don't have that problem with those. But maybe I am at times and don't realize it. And I do usually dry my tobacco out for roughly a half hour before I smoke it. But like I said, I'm by no means a seasoned smoker...still much for this padwan to learn from you Jedi masters. So I will definatly do some tweaking in my technique with the cob.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I prefer the Egg to the Spool shape, but I've heard the spools smoke very well. Otherwise, I don't think I could put it any better than Jud did. Well, I did have an analogy about a fat chick, but this is a family show. Just like I always say, "Nothing smokes like a Meer." I also say, "Some blends just sing in a cob!" The Burleys for sure and also the Cavendish. It's something you just have to get with to understand. I love my briars, my Peterson being the favorite of all of them, but if I can help it, the Meer and my cobs will always be a big part of my rotation.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I like my cob because it smokes well, I dont feel I have to take care of it super well, I can beat it around and not worry too much. Second, its American to me, its a reminder of times gone by. They also smoke damn well too, harrd to beat that.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Well said Jud!

When I think of a cob I imagine a farmer smoking his pipe while working and because I grew up on a farm it adds to the nostalgia.

For whatever reason they are nice :D

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
@ejames, some good explanations of grok above. Think of it as an understanding so fundamental that it transcends the intellect. Read Valentine Michael Smith's story if you have not yet done so. SIASL
Seems like I read the book--a good many years ago. Still, I doubt that the word "grok" will become part of my vocabulary or have any need to have an understanding of pipe smoking that "transcends the intellect". It ain't that complicated! :roll:

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
ejames wrote:

Still, I doubt that the word "grok" will become part of my vocabulary or have any need to have an understanding of pipe smoking that "transcends the intellect". It ain't that complicated!
You asked what "grok" meant. I told you. It's use in this context was pretty obviously meant as humorous hyperbole. Spare me your supercilious eye roll.
@spartan: Really? You pass your entire life without ever using any word considered to be slang? Um, OK. Nifty. (Oops. Slang.)
To the folks with the meaningful input, many thanks.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
DonGreyface, I'll repost the advice my dad gave me when I started smoking a pipe over 50 years ago. I still use it, and have never had tongue bite or a sour pipe. Maybe it'll be of some help.
The Vernon Cool & Dry Method​
Dry your tobacco more than you think you need to.

Pack it looser than you think you need to.

Smoke it slower than you think you need to.

Tamp it less , and more lightly, than you think you need to.

Clean your pipes after every smoke, using pipe spirits of some sort.

Don’t worry if you have a few relights.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Sometimes it's nice to have a fancy top hat, a beret, or a felt fedora...
...and sometimes it's nice to have a plain old-fashioned straw hat.

9771303-farmer-standing-in-his-field-smoking-a-corn-cob-pipe.jpg

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Great thread, and a big +1 to Jud, he pretty well nailed it! I love my cobs because they are light, smoke very well (especially burleys), and they are inexpensive. I smoke a cob at work every night, and many times dump the ash out of a still warm bowl and relight during my lunch break, and the cob never complains. What's not to like about them? :puffy:

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
To me, my cobs are as satisfying to smoke, hold and play with as my meerschaums. I wouldn't triad them for anything. They smoke very cool and build a cake as well as any briar. I have about 35 or so....
IMG_1518.jpg

grafikchaos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2012
Chapin, SC
I'm kind of weird here, but I like to put English blends in my cob. The cob material lends a very faint sweetness to the tobacco that I don't get with my briar pipes. And the really neat thing is, if something happens to the cob, I just go to the local pharmacy, plop down 6 bucks and I have a new one. If something happens to one of my briars, I will cry and then worry about coming up with the funds to replace it.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
ejames wrote:
Still, I doubt that the word "grok" will become part of my vocabulary or have any need to have an understanding of pipe smoking that "transcends the intellect". It ain't that complicated!
You asked what "grok" meant. I told you. It's use in this context was pretty obviously meant as humorous hyperbole. Spare me your supercilious eye roll.
Now,see,this is what I hate about any sort of written communication. You can't hear the tone of voice or look into a persons eyes and see and hear what was said and how it was said. I was trying to be humorous as well damn it! No need to get your bowels in an uproar because I didn't "grok" what you had to say.!

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
@ejames: My sincere apologies. Guess we both suck at the whole written humor thing.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I'd go hungry if I was getting paid by the word! Humorous or any other kind.

BTW-if you try a cob , MM are the only one to buy.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
I've got a wicked unsmoked cob from the 70's with a really awesome bakelite saddle bit and metal band on the shank, but every time I try to smoke it I end up chickening out and grabbing a well loved briar instead. I am change resistant.
It is kinda neat looking, I guess.

9bbb1451.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.